73blazer
#1 Star!
Helpful 1
The 5th element!

• 

57 Messages

Wed, Mar 2, 2022 6:13 PM

New LTE Booster works fine over Starlink

I can confirm that the new LTE booster, like the old 3g Microcell, works just fine on a Starlink Satellite connection.

Starlink has very low latency(23-30ms), better than a cable provider at another site I run, so I fully expected it to work unless it was explicitly blocked. I'm sure AT&T doesn't support it if you have problems, but it works just fine.

Tested incoming and outgoing: calls, multi-part messaging and MMS . All working.

I would not try it with Hughes Net or ViaSat as those have very high latency (600+ms) and if your on one of those you already know any VOIP service just isn't gonna work over those, and the new booster is no different.

Bonus, MMS messaging fully works now! The old 3g one on a Starlink connection, I could send an MMS, but receiving them didn't work, i just got a message that I had a message and it wouldn't come in until I got onto a real tower. No idea what that was, it wasn't the 3g MCell, as I had two others on cable ISP's and MMS worked just fine.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

Il y a 4 m

Cool!  Nice update

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

Il y a 4 m

@73blazer  Just keep in mind that if you start having call quality or connection issues there is nothing that AT&T can do to help because that will be between you and Elon. AT&T does not, and will not, support satellite and/or wireless broadband, just like they wouldn't for the MicroCell. The AT&T femtocells can work with satellite service, as I've mentioned, but once an issue arises, which it probably will, you're on your own. Having thousands of LEO satellites is a nice idea, until they get disrupted for a multitude of reasons, then you're stuck until SpaceX can get them fixed.

I was hoping that someone would report back about Starlink. Hopefully the new technology coupled with LTE will prove to be reliable under all sorts of conditions (environmental and technical). Thanks for the post.

73blazer

• 

57 Messages

Il y a 4 m

I've had starlink here since Dec 2020. Rock solid. No complaints. 

None of the cellular's work here not a bar of anything (Well except the two times I picked up a bar from across Lake Superior 110mi away, I made a call and it said it was Rogers Wireless Canada, please give CC to continue call!), and the only other choice is a WISP (Wireless internet provider). I had the WISP before starlink and the mcell worked just fine on that. But the WISP operater was trying to work on the cheap building homemade equipment enclosures, daisy chaining from other residences or business's. WISP can work great when managed properly, this one isn't and it was ALWAYS going out, every other day at least for 20mins, a few hours, half a weekend. And the guy was charging $100/mo for 5mbps service.

Starlink has been much, much more reliable, and much faster speeds for  same price as the WISP 5mbps service. 

That's the beauty of alot of satellites to make up your network, if you lose a few, no big deal, they can re-organize the rest to pick up the slack.

Yes, of course I realize if there's trouble, AT&T won't help me. WHich is why I never called on the MMS receive thing before, but aside from the MMS thing, the old 3g MCell worked flawlessly on Starlink, no issue at all.

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

Il y a 4 m

@73blazer  That's excellent news then. I was hoping that Starlink, being better and more current technology than satellite internet, would work with the Cell Booster and it appears that it can. That will certainly help folks who are in similar situations such as yourself. 

If you can keep some sort of documentation on how well it works, tips, or anything like that going forward I'd like to add that to the Guide so that it may help other folks, instead of them having to call AT&T and, well, you know how that would go.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.