MEEKSMJ's profile

• 

1 Message

Mon, Feb 7, 2022 11:34 PM

New cell booster

With my old microcell tower I could make calls from anywhere in the house.  With the new cell booster I have to be in the same room.  It is in the exact same spot the microcell tower was, what am I doing wrong? All the lights on the booster are lit up.

HELP!!!

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

5 m ago

@MEEKSMJ While in the same room, turn your phone off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. If could be that your phone just needs to register the Cell Booster as part of its cellular neighborhood. Make sure your phone is set to LTE if you have that option and make sure your phone meets AT&T's requirements for cellular once 3G is shutdown.

If your phone does connect to the Cell Booster you should see the 4G/LTE light flash white. It may take a minute or so for the two to communicate.

• 

2 Messages

4 m ago

Same issue; cell phone service now limited to only one room. The Nokia cell booster apparently has no range. The Microcell had worked well throughout my flat.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4 m ago

@powmari and @MEEKSMJ Read my Cell Booster Guide, link is in my sig line. I will be posting an update later on this week.

• 

2 Messages

4 m ago

I finished reading your Cell Booster guide. Thank you. I found it comprehensive and informative, but have two questions:

1. On page 5

NOTE: Both devices have a consumer warning that you should be no closer than 20cm including areas of short-term duration such as, but not limited to, a light, light switch, thermostat, HVAC unit or vent, electrical outlet, and signs.

I am not sure if you mean the Cell Booster should not be closer to these items, or you, physically, should not be close to the Cell Booster.

On page 15:

If you are using a wireless router and want to locate your Cell Booster in a different location in your home that prohibits hard-wiring it to your router, you may be able to use a wireless repeater next to the Cell Booster and hard-wire the Cell Booster to the repeater. 

The current hardwired Cell Booster that I just installed does not have enough range. Could a second cell Cell Booster be attached to a wireless repeater in another room? Would it interfere with the original WIFI router/modem?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4 m ago

@powmari 

Question 1 is from the FCC and their recommendation is that you physically be no closer than 8" but admittedly the rest is vague. My understanding is that not only does your physical body need to be no closer than 8", the unit itself needs to be no closer than 8" for the other items mentioned due to interference from the radios. Just keep it away from anything that can create any kind of interference.

You can have more than one Cell Booster at a single location but they should be at least 50' apart. If your AP has an ethernet port that would be ideal as long as the AP is hardwired to the router. In my testing (a 3500 sq.ft. 2-story home) range is really dependent on location and your building material. The MicroCell had better range in that respect but that's probably due to the technical differences between 3G and LTE. I have not been real impressed with the Cell Booster in that respect. 

wolfox

Tutor

• 

118 Messages

4 m ago

I think too it's a broad guideline for safe exposure. Microwave spectrum emissions at any level, over a long enough period can do some harmful things. And possibly cumulative. 

I've got mine set in a shelf as high as possible nowhere near high traffic or lingering areas out of an abundance of caution. The nephews, nieces, mum cannot reach it. It's elevated and removed from any areas one may linger in close proximity, etc.

We're talking about a gizmo with a potentially potent radio that is super "hot" @ about 1.9GHz on a good day. It must be given respect and proper care. 

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.