Thu, Mar 17, 2022 8:34 PM

Microcell

Does the AT&T microcell not work anymore even with 4g? Thanks in advance 

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

3分前

I'm not sure what you mean by "even with 4g."  The Microcell is a 3G technology device.  It does not work with VoLTE, and so it is obsolete.  AT&T has a replacement femtocell that they call (confusingly) the Cell Booster that works with VoLTE.

• 

3 Messages

3分前

I’m not very familiar with it, just saw the box said requirements were 3g, 4g and 4g LTE phone so I thought it would work over 4g as well. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

3分前

@Thatgrlwv As mentioned, the MicroCell went away with 3G. We've been discussing this for a couple of years now on the forum. The MicroCell was always a 3G only device. If your phone indicated 4G, that was just how your phone was interpreting the 3G signal.

AT&T introduced the Cell Booster as the replacement for the MicroCell. It is still a femtocell, not a cellular booster. AT&T had a free replacement campaign around the first of the year but demand exceeded supply so there are no more free ones to hand out. AT&T will start selling them in a couple of weeks. The Cell Booster will sell for $229 and the Cell Booster Pro (intended for Enterprise and FirstNet users) for $669.

• 

3 Messages

3分前

Thanks for the replies, very helpful 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

3分前

@Thatgrlwv As a followup, if you had a MicroCell with a current account that showed activity, AT&T sent free Cell Boosters to those individuals in Jan/Feb of this year prior to the shutdown of the 3G network. There was nothing for you to do but wait for delivery. AT&T then sent out an email with a weblink (that didn't work reliably) for those that were missed to login and order a free one if you still needed it. That didn't last very long because those that got thru quickly depleted the supply.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.