J

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Aug 8, 2021 7:33 PM

MicroCell

I was told my by ATT store that my 3G microcell would no longer work after February and I needed to upgrade to a 4G.  I bought a 4G microcell and in my attempts to activate was told by your support team that I could not activate any new microcells (The reason is a little fuzzy because he did not speak english very clearly).  So now I spend a lot of money based on the suggestion of your ATT store employees only to find out that you don't support it.  I was told when I moved here that WiFi calling was the thing to use, however, its just a slight bit better than nothing at all with the missed and dropped calls while using it, and for some reason, my son's phone will not connect to it.  So, I need help before February or will be forced to find another cell provider.  From people in my neighborhood, ATT is the only carrier that doesn't work up here.

(Edited Per Community Guidelines)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.2K Messages

Il y a 6 m

@vantive2000 

Microcell was discontinued at the end of 2017, so 4 years ago. As it was a 3G device, any remaining ones in use will stop working by Feb 2022.

WiFi Calling is the option for AT&T going forward. Cell phone boosters for home could be considered.

With the phones you have, verify they support Voice over LTE (VoLTE / HD Voice). Make sure any 4G LTE rating on the phone is for calling, not just data, as that is a requirement regarding the pending shutdown that completes in a couple months. Must be on AT&T's approved whitelist for their own branded phones or any 3rd party that will still be supported.

In any case, Microcell is not expected back. Time to move forward.

JefferMC

ACE - Expert

• 

28.7K Messages

Il y a 6 m

Two things:

1) SMS can flow over a WI-Fi calling connection.

2) AT&T does have new femtocells coming, under the name "booster" (Don't ask).  But they're not ready for primetime yet.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

Il y a 6 m

@vantive2000

The wifi calling does not solve the problem of being unable to send an SMS or a MMS.  if both sender and receiver have iphones, it will work thru iMessage, but if the recipient is using android phone...  :(. 

Some phones in our household have an OK experience with wifi calling, other phones in our household have choppy and dropped calls all the time.

I use android, and often am places where I must use wifi call and text, with pictures, never had a problem sending or receiving to clients with iPhone or Android.

Not sure why some do have a problem

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

Il y a 6 m

@vantive2000 The MicroCell has nothing to do with text messages to non-iPhone users. I assume you have an iPhone?

There have been lots of reports lately where iMessage still works, but SMS to non-iPhone users, 2FA, loss of cellular data if WiFi is disabled, etc have suddenly stopped. You can try to Reset Network Settings (you will lose your WiFi pw's so keep them handy), power cycle your phone, or possibly replace the SIM.

AT&T is having some serious issues on the backend with server migrations and other technical issues that results in some accounts having their network settings corrupted or disabled. If you can't get Support to resolve the issues then you should file a complaint with the BBB. That will result in someone from the Office of the President contacting you directly. It took a Senior Manager and one of his engineers two days to resolve all of those issue with our 4 iPhones. It has nothing to do with the model of phone or iOS.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.