J

• 

2 Messages

Sun, Aug 8, 2021 7:33 PM

MicroCell

I was told my by ATT store that my 3G microcell would no longer work after February and I needed to upgrade to a 4G.  I bought a 4G microcell and in my attempts to activate was told by your support team that I could not activate any new microcells (The reason is a little fuzzy because he did not speak english very clearly).  So now I spend a lot of money based on the suggestion of your ATT store employees only to find out that you don't support it.  I was told when I moved here that WiFi calling was the thing to use, however, its just a slight bit better than nothing at all with the missed and dropped calls while using it, and for some reason, my son's phone will not connect to it.  So, I need help before February or will be forced to find another cell provider.  From people in my neighborhood, ATT is the only carrier that doesn't work up here.

(Edited Per Community Guidelines)

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.2K Messages

1年前

Microcells are discontinued and are no longer being supported. They have essentially been replaced with WiFi calling.

Getting a new phone or changing providers are your options.

(not our employees anymore than yours. This is a public forum. For official support you call).

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

1年前

There never was a 4G MicroCell. It has always been 3G. It works fine with 4G/LTE handsets but always connects at 3G. Some handsets will indicate 4G but that is just how the phone is interpreting the 3G signal.

You can't even register/activate new 3G devices on the AT&T network because they are starting to dismantle their 3G network with the total shutdown being no later than Feb. 2022. WiFi Calling (WiFi-C) is what we have been recommending for the last couple of years now.

Your only real options are to use WiFi-C (if your phone is capable), purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide), or switch carriers. And I'd make your decision sooner than later.

Vipin

• 

184 Messages

1年前

Hello @Jscotthorton,

Please be mindful about sharing your personal details like, Phone number, email id, IMEI number, account number, last name, Credit/Debit card number, order number, Driver licence details, address. This is a public forum and your privacy is very important to us. As per AT&T Community Forum's guidelines http://sm.att.com/b9b8aa02 your personal details will be scrubbed. Have a great day!

Regards,
AT&T Moderator

• 

2 Messages

1年前

The problem I’m having is WiFi calling is horribly unreliable and I have very case internet.  I have an I-phone 12 and the wife has an 11 so upgrading phones won’t help.  That’s why I got a microcell to begin with is because calls weren’t coming through on WiFi calling.  The microcell works like a champ.

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.2K Messages

1年前

Well Microcells that are already activated will become paperweights in a few months. Sorry but that is just how it is. You have your options.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

1年前

AT&T does not have a 4G MicroCell and any case you what you would need is an LTE MicroCell. 

The only thing they sell that does that is a macro cell which is very expensive and it's sold for businesses.

So what exactly did you buy and from where?.

If you're having a problem with Wi-Fi calling then we need to troubleshoot that service, or you need to switch to a different service provider.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

1年前

@Jscotthorton Existing MicroCells will still work but new ones can not be activated for reasons given. As AT&T starts to shutdown their 3G network, which they have already done in some areas, the MicroCell will just stop working. There is no timeline for the service areas but it will all be shutdown no later than Feb. 2022.

WiFi-C works extremely well on my iPhone 12 in our home,  my wife's iPhone 7, and all the other iPhones in our family and extended family. Even some Android phones. You need to investigate why WiFi-C is unreliable in your situation. Most everyone that I know has no issues with WiFi-C, other than the occasional call dropping if moving around the house and the cellular signal becomes stronger than the WiFi signal.

Forget the MicroCell. It is going to be very problematic as we get closer to Fall and the end of the year. Don't expect any help from Support because they have always been clueless about the MicroCell, partly because AT&T never kept them abreast of changes and issues. I'm just hoping that AT&T sends out text messages as it gets closer to being shutdown in the various service areas.

Start planning now for life without the MicroCell before you're forced to.

• 

3 Messages

8分前

Some handsets will indicate 4G but that is just how the phone is interpreting the 3G signal.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

8分前

Uh, that's what I said 2 months ago.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

8分前

@OttoPylot

It's a spam set up.... 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

8分前

@lizdance40 How could you tell? I must be slipping in my old age....

Juniper

ACE - Expert

• 

30.2K Messages

8分前

The user is necroing older posts, such as thanking for help when it is their first post in the thread. So the posting itself is suspicious.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

8分前

@OttoPylot

When they steal your comments verbatim, it's a set up.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

8分前

Thanks group. Need to pay more attention, or at least finish my morning

coffee.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6分前

The wifi calling does not solve the problem of being unable to send an SMS or a MMS.  if both sender and receiver have iphones, it will work thru iMessage, but if the recipient is using android phone...  :(. 

Some phones in our household have an OK experience with wifi calling, other phones in our household have choppy and dropped calls all the time. 

BRING BACK MICROCELL !

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.