What is happening with 3G?
waldo67's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, June 12th, 2014 3:08 AM

Microcell Troubleshoot for no home service.

After repeated calls to technical support and spending at least over 2 hours total on the phone. I think I solved my own issue.
The reason why my AT&T Microcell was only working part time in my home was a simple setting in my AT&T Microcell Managment.
Go to the online account and after logging in click on, "I want to".
Then click on "Manage my plan & services", "Manage 3G MicroCell".
In that section go to "Automatic Hand-Out" and click "DISABLE".
This will create a constant use of the Microcell rather than it handing off to a tower with a poor connection.
The down side is you may drop a call made or received at home, then leaving the Microcell coverage area.
Hopefully the techs will see this and have a quick solution to a simple issue.

waldo67

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Disabling hand-off is one way to correct connection issues if your phone has difficulty in handing-off from the macrocell (tower) to the MicroCell (see my Tech Guide for handing-off) and vice versa. What kind of phone do you have?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the reply...

I have a Moto X as a new phone I am still learning to use.
Do you know of anything in settings on the phone to achieve the same results?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I am not familiar with the Motorola phones. That's something you'd have to take up with Motorola and I wouldn't ask them any questions about the MicroCell of VoIP in general because they won't know anything. On the iPhones, there's an option to Reset Network Settings which helps in a lot of cases. You might want to look around for a similar feature and see if that works.  The phone should be designed to be able to seamlessly hand-off from tower to tower (even the MicroCell). If you are on a call and enter your house you may lose the call as the phone switches from the macrocell to the MicroCell and vice versa. That's not uncommon. But if you initiate or receive a call while on the MicroCell it should be the same as if you were outside of MicroCell range.

How do you have your MicroCell setup. Do you have anybody on the Approved User List and do they have the same problem?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have a FTTH connection that requires no "modem". It's a direct connect to the WiFi router.
My Moto X is "hit and miss" as the Microcell works on average about 75% of the time.
But It will drop the Microcell connect for no apparent reason. Even if I leave my phone in the same spot.
I have a friend on my list who has an Iphone and she gets better results when she comes over.
Most posts I've read say Iphones are more compatible with the Microcell for some reason.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I don't know if the iPhones are more compatibile with the MicroCell than other phones. They have had their issues as well. It could be your ISP. I know, it's easy to blame the ISP if there are MicroCell issues but a solid, reliable connection is definitely needed for VoIP and although your internet may be fine, it could be dicey at times for VoIP. Problems with the line are handled better by some phones than others. I'd check your router settings etc just to make sure that it meets the requirments for reliable service via the MicroCell.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I'm not familiar with FTTH hardware.

Couldn't the OP connect the Mcell directly to the FTTH hardware with an Ethernet cable and put the router after the Mcell  (Alternate Connection) and see if the problem goes away?  Could be a router issue.

Also, if there is no modem, the ISP could be doing something on their end to cause problems.  We've seen that before with the person who has the wireless ISP and no modem on their end.  The ISP made some changes and the problem was resolved.  That will require some cooperation from the ISP to go through the Mcell requirements (ports, IP Sec, MTU, etc...) with the OP.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

10 years ago

Hi I have a Moto X with a Microcell.  I don't have any major issues of the phone "dropping" the Microcell.  Also have an iphone in the household.

However, you need to keep in mind that if you are in an area where the actual cell tower/macrocell signal fluctuates up and down, it is very possible that your phone will switch to the macrocell because the macrocell signal is detected to be strong.

Microcells for me have been a two edged sword.  They are great to supplement poor coverage (although you can argue why you have to use your self-paid internet bandwidth to accomplish this but that's getting off topic),  but when you are in one of those gray area coverage zones, the microcell and the cell tower could fight over each other.

I've never experimented with the "disable handoff" setting.  Mine is set to On (handoff).

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

You are correct, and that is covered somewhat in the Tech Guide. The best MicroCell coverage is when it is located close to the "fringe coverage area" for the macrocell (tower). If the tower signal detected by the MicroCell at the Initial Activation is weak, then the MicroCell boosts its signal strength. However, the opposite is true as well, and can be complicated by the aim of the tower beam, structural interference (buildings, trees, etc), so tower "interference" will, and can, vary from area to area and can have an effect on handing off.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

That's exactly the issue I am experiencing with my Moto X phone.
Sometimes it will be one bar and then fluctuate to up to three bars.
My friend with an IPhone will always get M-Cell when visiting.
I belive the purpose of hand off is to have a uniterrupted call.
If you leave or arrive home while on the phone, it keeps calls from being dropped.
At least that's my understanding in the short time I've used M-Cell.
Thanks for the response!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Handing off is covered in my Tech Guide so you might want to check it out to get a better understanding on what's going on. If the iPhone doesn't exhibit any problems with handing off but the Moto does, then it's probably the way the Moto is handling the handover, whether it is a hard or a soft handover. Some phones are just better at it than others. Handing over can be further complicated if it is what's called a vertical handover. In other words, handing off from one technology to another (3G to 2G for example).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.