What is happening with 3G?
SallyShears's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, August 12th, 2014 12:56 PM

MicroCell, Phone Loses Connection after Several Hours

OK, the major problem has gone away (that was the Flashing 3G light).

Now that I've found this community forum, I'll post the other problem: MicroCell working and connected, four solid green lights (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th lights solid green; 4th light would be a computer connected, but there isn't). Phone connects to the MicroCell and works great. Then, after several hours, no change in the MicroCell, but the phone has lost the MicroCell. Not connected. Based to external towers which are too weak. 

Specifics:

- White MicroCell

- iPhone 5

- Still 4 solid green lights on the MicroCell

- Phone was connected to MicroCell, but has lost the connection after several hours

- Running ping every 10 seconds, there has been no loss of packets during the period

- Phone to Airplane mode, wait a bit, back to regular mode: Doesn't help

- Power down the phone, wait a bit, power back up: Doesn't help

- This has been going on for a year. Same with two different ISPs (Comcast, Fairpoint DSL)

Anyone else seeing this?

Why/how would the MicroCell lose the phone connection after several hours, but still show four green?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Reset Network Settings on the iPhone 5. If all the lights are solid green (power, ethenet, GPS, and 3G) the MicroCell has a connection to AT&T. Unless the tx power has decreased for some reason and the iPhone is not picking it up, it could be that the iPhone needs to reset it's network settings to re-connect to the MicroCell. Keep in mind that everytime your power cycle the MicroCell or do a hard reset, some of the system configs will either reset themselves or go thru an entire Initial Activation (see Tech Guide, link in my sig) on the MicroCell. It's possible that the iPhone needs to reset itself as well. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. You may have to re-enter some of your pw etc so you might want to keep then handy so you can quickly re-enter them.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Given the facts that you have posted, I'm assuming that the only way to reconnect your iPhone is to power cycle the Mcell (You didn't mention you did this).

Do you have Automatic Hand-Out enabled or disabled on the Microcell Management webpage?

If Otto's recommendation to reset your iPhone network settings doesn't help the situation, you might try disabling Automatic Hand-Out.

It sounds like your iPhone is getting an occasional signal strength level from the nearest celltower that is stronger than the Mcell's signal and your iPhone is switching to the tower and not switching back.  When you lose your Mcell connection does your iPhone shows an AT&T signal from the celltower instead of "searching" or "not connected".  Your post was not clear about this.

I'm also assuming that this is independent of the distance between your iPhone and the Mcell.  You've tried Airplane Mode toggling with the iPhone right next to the Mcell when this happens and it still doesn't connect?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

@Avedis53 wrote:

Given the facts that you have posted, I'm assuming that the only way to reconnect your iPhone is to power cycle the Mcell (You didn't mention you did this).

I'm also assuming that this is independent of the distance between your iPhone and the Mcell.  You've tried Airplane Mode toggling with the iPhone right next to the Mcell when this happens and it still doesn't connect?

Yes, cycling the MicroCell is the only way I have found to reconnect the phone.

Yes, I tried toggling Airplane mode wiht the iPhone very close (4 feet) to the MicroCell.

On a trip...  Will look at other suggestions when I return.  Thanks for the replies.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Have you had the Mcell replaced or is it the only one you've owned?  Has it ever worked properly for you?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, @Avedis53, the troublesome MicroCell was the only one I had owned.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Solution:  I got AT&T to swap out the troublesome MicroCell under warranty. 

With the new MicroCell, all is good.  I conclude that the problem "Phone Loses Connection after several hours" was caused by a faulty MicroCell.

Now the iPhone stays connected to the MicroCell overnight. I can come and go, MicroCell reconnects each time I return.

If you are having the same problem, I suggest trying to get a warranty replacement. This was smooth: They send the replacement along with a shipping label to return the bad one. Good job, AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the positive feedback on ATT's replacement. I think the life of the "white" MicroCells appears to be about 4 years, give or take, based on some of the reports we've seen here. I have an original one that is still working fine after 4 years. I recently setup one of the new ones and from the box to connecting to my iPhone took about an hour. Unofficially, AT&T/Cisco has made some design changes with updated components partially based on the last 5 years experience.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

@SallyShears wrote:

Solution:  I got AT&T to swap out the troublesome MicroCell under warranty. 

If you are having the same problem, I suggest trying to get a warranty replacement. This was smooth: They send the replacement along with a shipping label to return the bad one. Good job, AT&T.

One more followup to my own after a month. The swap to a new unit is definitely the solution here. With the old one, it was 100% certain I would lose the connection within 24 hours. The only solution was to reboot the microcell.

With the new unit, it is 100% right. My phone stays connected. Always reconnects in a minute or two when I come back to the house. 

If you are having the same problem, get AT&T to swap out your microcell for a replacement unit.

Regards to all.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Did you get the new DPH-154 MicroCell (the black one)?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.