Military Appreciation: Exclusive savings for military, veterans, and their families!
What is happening with 3G?
arvindg28's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Fri, Aug 19, 2016 2:17 AM

Closed

Microcell not working with Xfinity

We recently moved to a new area where AT&T cell phone signal is not great (side note - AT&T does not offer high speed internet in my area either). So we got a microcell to improve the wireless signal. We have high speed internet connection from Comcast Xfinity. We have connected our own modem ARRIS SB6183 and NETGEAR AC1900 router.

I am trying to connect the MIcrocell but its not working. The GPS and status bar lights keep blinking. Tried to call AT&T customer care and tried everything

• Tried registering, re-registering the device again
  • The ports (123, 443, 500, 4500) on the router have been added to "port forwarding"
  • Even connected the microcell directly with modem in "priority connection" but not helping either.

Is there something else I can try or is it the Microcell is bad and ask AT&T for a replacement?? Could Xfinity be blocking something that is preventing microcell to connect or my modem is incompatible with microcell - Any suggestions??

Anonymous

• 

25.7K Messages

Il y a 6 y

I don't have any problems with XFINITY and microcell working together. Could possibly be line noise on your line. You could also try to connect the microcell directly to the XFINITY router/modem.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

Il y a 6 y

I'm assuming this is the new, black DPH-154 MicroCell purchased directly from AT&T? If it is the DPH-154, then the indicator lights, from top to bottom are 3G, GPS, ethernet, and power. If the 3G and GPS lights are flashing green then obviously you have no connection to the AT&T Mobility servers and GPS verification has not completed (GPS light flashing green).

Did you ever get a message, either by text or on your myAT&T MicroCell page that said registration and activation were complete?

Normally we would recommend that you connect via the alternate method, which a single, direct, ethernet connection to the modem. That bypasses the router altogether and rules out a router configuration issue. The fact that you can't complete the GPS location check is troublesome. We have seen lots of issues with the Arris modems but you should at least be able to complete the GPS location check. Keep in mind that even when the GPS turns a solid green, that doesn't mean your location has been verified it just means the check has completed.

As far as the router settings go, you need to ensure that ALL of the minimum router requirements are being met, not just the ports. Forwarding the ports is a good idea to statically assigned IP address of the MicroCell but you should check that the ports are open all the way on the Comcast side. Doesn't help to forward something that may be blocked. My guess is that the ports are open but it is something to verify and forget about.

I would forget about the router for the moment and concentrate on the modem. If you can't get to  AT&T with a straight connection to the modem then that's a problem.

Please explain how you are setup and if there are any switches, PowerLine adapters, etc involved. How close are you to a window?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 6 y

Yes, the microcell is the black one DPH-154. The power and ethernet lights are always solid green. The GPS light turns solid green sometimes and then off and blinks but the 3G light has been blinking intermittently.

I did received the message this morning that activation is completed and confirmed it online also in my account. 

The microcell is less than 1 feet from the window. The current set-up is - Xfinity to Arris Modem SB6183 wired to Netgear router AC1900 wired to microcell. There are no other switches, adapters etc. For the router settings, port forwarding has been enabled. What is a good way to check the ports are open from comcast side??

I could not figure out IPSec Pass-Through settings under the router - any suggestions??

For troubleshooting, I also tried bypassing the router completely and hooked up internet directly from modem to microcell but still did not worked. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

Il y a 6 y

Configuring and/or checking the router settings is beyond what we can do here. It's impossible for us to keep up with all the different kinds of routers, firmware versions etc, so you'll have to contact the mfr and/or Comcast to help you with the settings, either checking them or re-configuring them.

The fact that you can't connect reliably with the alternate method (modem -> MicroCell) is something that you'll need to resolve before you connect the router.

Comcast will have to confirm that the ports are open. There are port checkers available but they can give erroneous readings. AT&T support can also check on their end to see if there are any port issues. The fact that AT&T has confirmed that you registered and activated indicates you were able to reach AT&T Mobility.

If the MicroCell is 18" or so from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky and you can't get the GPS to finish the location check and stay solid green, try moving the MicroCell's position a bit. Either to the left or right or even change the orientation of the MicroCell in relationship to the window (horizontal or vertical). The radios are in the top and sometimes it just takes a slight re-orientation for the GPS to lock, find the closest tower to check signal strength, timing, service area, etc.

Is the 3G light flashing green or red? Red means that the location verification has failed (but you should have received an error message). Green means that you have lost connectivity to the AT&T Mobility serves because something is blocking access, there is a hardware failure, or an update has failed and the MicroCell "thinks" it is broken.

Is the modem in bridge mode? It should be if you are using the router for firewalling.

Avedis53

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Il y a 6 y

For the sake of completeness, I would check the output voltage of the Mcell AC adapter.  The indicator light symptoms mimic what we've seen in the past when an adapter doesn't output the corrrect voltage.

If you have a voltmeter, test the adapter plug and see if your output voltage is 16 VDC +/- 0.5 VDC.  If it isn't, replace the adapter with one that has identical output specs as the original.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

Il y a 6 y

That's a good idea. Even a brand new MicroCell can come with a failing adapter. The OP also might want to connect via the alternate method and then do a hard reset (following the instructions in the Tech Guide). It's possible that something got scrambled after the Initial Activation (which includes downloading and installing any updates if available) and a hard reset will clear it.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Il y a 6 y

I think it is the adaptor. The microcell completely died last night with solid red power light ON. Talked to customer sevice this morning and they will be sending in the new microcell.

Will try connecting the new one once I receive in the next 2-3 days.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

17.9K Messages

Il y a 6 y

Just make sure that AT&T sends a new adapter with the replacement MicroCell. Quite often they don't. The adapters for the white and black MicroCell's are slightly different so you need to use the one that is designed for that MicroCell.

By any chance, did you test the adapter like Avedis53 suggested? It would be nice to know what the reading is. I would also test the adapter that is shipped with the replacement MicroCell, if they send one, as well. Just to be sure.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.