What is happening with 3G?
sharper73's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, November 23rd, 2014 8:07 PM

Microcell location mismatch

Hi.  Back in May, I got a Microcell for my Office on the ***.  I used an external GPS antenna in the window, allowing me to locate the microcell more centrally to the office.  It worked great until about 3 weeks ago, and ever since then I have been calling support over and over to attempt to resolve this with no fix in sight.  I RMA'd the unit for a refurbished one, and after that still didn't work exchanged that unit for a new black microcell without the GPS port on the back.  So now the unit sits in the window at my office which is less than ideal, but I'm just trying to get it to work.  I have deactived and re-registered the device time and time again.  It usually takes about 4 to 6 hours for the unit to get GPS lock and when it finally does it complains

"Error 102 - The registered address does not match the actual device location."

Given that all three units were showing this behavior I am now of the opinion that there's a problem in AT&T's GPS map of some sort.  I tried putting in other addresses near my building, and nothing works.  Since the device takes so long to get GPS lock, it is hard to get any resolution for this problem with phone support.  The address in question is ***

Does any one have any ideas about getting a resolution to this problem?  Thanks in advance.

Steve [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Expert

• 

23.7K Messages

9 years ago

Is the window that the MicroCell now sits in front of the same window that the external antenna was positioned at? It is odd that you lost GPS with the first MicroCell but the GPS satellites do change positions (I don't believe that they are in geosynchronous orbits) or something could be blocking the view.

I would double check your myAT&T Account setup page and make sure that your regsitration information is correct and current. If it is, then try a hard reset on the MicroCell. Turn off the power to the MicroCell. Take a paperclip and insert it in the Reset hole on the back and push the button in. Keep pressing the button and restore power. Hold the button in for about 30 seconds and then release it. That sets the MicroCell back to default status and forces it to go thru the Initial Activation sequence (see my Tech Guide, link in my sig, for details). If you still get the address mis-match error then I would send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing the problem, any trouble ticket numbers assigned to you, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and your location. They may be able to do what's called a GPS Bypass to get the MicroCell registered. However, that might not correct the underlying problem of why you lost GPS in the first place.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Well, as AT&T support is unable to deviate from their script of "Let's deactivate and re-activate the Microcell!" I do believe that I will just grab the device, take it home with me and attempt to complete the activation process at my "billing address".  Once that is done I will bring it back to the office and change the address to my office location.  Wish me luck!

Steve

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Ok, I took the Microcell home, and successfully activated it in less than 20 minutes.  I brought it back to work and plugged it in - Error 102 location mismatch.  There is clearly a problem with AT&T's GPS -> address database.  I will PM my contact.

Steve

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Expert

• 

23.7K Messages

9 years ago

What you did is correct for a new MicroCell. Once you activate it at your billing address (the account holder) you should be able to take it to another location (like a summer home) put in the new location (address), and activate it for that location. I've done that quite a few times. It may take support some time to do a GPS Bypass if that's what is necessary because that requires support levels (including IT) quite a few levels above phone support. Is your work a single business in a single address or is it multiple businesses at a single address?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

My office is in a building on the campus of a major University in Utah.  Many departments share the space.  They report they are escalating the ticket, and I now have a support ticket number. One address database I used to look up my latitude and longitude was way off what Google Earth was reporting.  Perhaps that is part of the problem.  I update my contact with the Google Earth coordinates.  Thanks for your prompt observations and suggestions.

Steve

ACE - Expert

• 

23.7K Messages

9 years ago

I've seen this before when Google was off as well. AT&T does update their database from time to time and if the data they receive is faulty..... You may also encounter issues being on a University campus depending on what they have installed for security purposes but that would affect your ability to connect to the AT&T mobility servers but that can't happen until your physical address matches the received GPS coordinates.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hopefully, CustomerCare can get your address issue resolved.  Since your Mcell worked before, I doubt there is a network firewall issue at the university unless they've changed something. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

AT&T "tier 2" (what a joke) support just called and left me a voicemail that there was "good news", that they wanted to replace my Microcell with a new one!  I HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS TWO OTHER TIMES!  All three Microcells have exhibited the SAME EXACT problem; namely that the GPS co-ordinates DO NOT match the Address co-ordinates in their geo-location database. This is the laziest possible customer service response, to just kick the can down the road so another representative can open a new ticket in a week when the new unit arrives in the mail and exhibits the SAME EXACT PROBLEM.  It appears the only way I'm going to be able to get reliable wireless service in my office is to CANCEL my AT&T service plan and go with a provider that actually will help their customers.  Good God, what a sad joke of a company.

Steve

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.