Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
rfran704's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, November 18th, 2015 12:42 PM

MicroCell Latency

Our AT&T MicroCell (Model DPH154 Black) stopped working after months of great connectivity when we had a power failure. We were so happy because the regular AT&T cellular service in our new house was practically non-existent. AT&T Tech Support decided to send a new one after some basic troubleshooting, but that one (same model) doesn't work either (followed all the required start up procedures).

The issue seemed to be this error message:  

FTC224: Your MicroCell was unable to obtain a GPS signal to report its position.

Same as the original unit.

Even after restarting several times and having the MicroCell unit in direct contact with several south & west facing windows for over 24 hours with no obstructions to the sky it still shows the Power, Ethernet & GPS lights all solid green, but the Network light all solid red.

Tech Support then had me run an AT&T Internet Speedtest and I got a Latency Test Error message: Latency test returned an error while trying to read the latency file.

They told me it was my ISP's problem at this point, but my Comcast connectivity is great (IPV4 > Download 80.42 Mbps, Upload 21.80, IPV6 > 82.14 & 23.92).

Everything else on our network works fine, just as always, but not the MicroCell! 

So Comcast tells me it's not their problem!

Now I have a MicroCell that doesn't work and neither provider can explain why. 

HELP!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the reply, but it turned out to be the old Xfinity router, LAN port issue.

Comcast installed a new updated router and everything is great, better than ever, one reason to rent their equipment. You can always upgrade to the latest technology.

It looks like the GPS error is a default message when the connectivity is lost.

Your Test Results (Tested on ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎27‎:‎14‎ ‎AM)

• Download Speed HELP 97.77 Mbps (12221.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Upload Speed HELP 24.29 Mbps (3036.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • Latency HELP 14 ms
  • Jitter HELP 1 ms

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

9 years ago

Run a VoIP test, http://voiptest.8x8.com, and post your results here. Latency is usually an ISP issue because AT&T  has no control over Comcast's line. Run the VoIP test a couple of times during the day to get a good idea of your average line quality instead of a single snapshot in time.

Have  you rebooted your Comcast equipment?

Are  you using the same ac adapter with the replacement MicroCell or were you sent a new one? A failing adapter can cause all kinds of odd issues. You can check the adapter by taking a voltmeter and checking that it is reading 16VDC with no load.

Have you done a hard reset on the MicroCell? It's possible that something got scrambled because of the power outage and you need to do a hard reset instead of just power cycling the unit. The hard reset forces the MicroCell back to factory defaults.

It's odd that you received the GPS error when the GPS light is solid green.

Comcast, like other ISP's, will be of little help when it comes to the MicroCell because they offer their own VoIP service and is very reluctant to help a competitor.

Speed is basically irrelevant as long as you can maintain 3.0Mbps down and 512kbps up on a clean line (hence the VoIP test).

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I agree with Otto.

I'd focus on the AC adapter since your symptoms could be due to it being faulty, but do try a hard reset before that.

The GPS anomaly could be due to the adapter also.

The Latency Test Error you got when running AT&T's Internet Speedtest is typically due to the speedtest servers not being able to load the latency test file.  That is an issue on the server side and not a problem on your end.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your connectivity problem by replacing your router.

The question is:  Why did the router suddenly stop working with the Mcell?  Did the power outage damage the router in some way?  It would appear that it did.  I would imagine that the original Mcell would most likely have worked with the new router also.

Stop by again if you have any more problems.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

9 years ago

Good news! Thanks for reporting back.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.