What is happening with 3G?
bfaber73's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, March 28th, 2015 8:53 AM

Microcell just failed?

I had an old 3g microcell that was working for ages and seemingly stopped overnight last Monday.  I called help and they couldn't really say, but the microcell was old so they sent a new one.  I have that up, but it doesn't work either.

All lights are fully green on the unit, but no phones in the house work even after restarting phones.  At this point it seems the issue has to be with comcast or ATT...

If all the lights on the unit are green, what other problems on my end could I possiby debug into?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Usually if the MicroCell fails it's a gradual process, at least that I've seen, so you'll have some indication that something is wrong. By failing do you mean that all the lights went dark or only the 3G light (blinking green or red or not lit at all?).

Which MicroCell did they send as a replacement? Another white one or the brand new black model? Did they send a new ac adapter as well?

When the ac adapter starts to fail it can cause all kinds of issues. You can have the power light lit but there can still be not enough power to maintain the rest of the board and functions. If you are using the same ad adapter with the "new" MicroCell, and it too is not working, it could be the adapter. If so, I'd replace the adapter with one that has the same power rating as the old one. The rating is listed on the adpater and in the Guide (see link in my sig).

If all the lights were solid green on the old and the new MicroCell, I'd have to suspect either Comcast or your phones. What kind of phones do you have? We are seeing issues with the Android-based phones that seems to be fixed with an OS update but it depends on which Android device you have.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same issue, Att and twc are no help. This is just crazy.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

They sent a new unit (black) and a new power supply. _all_ lights are completely green (no blinking). Everything is as 'go' as it ever was on my previous unit. (new/old doesn't make a difference). Even put the new unit in the router DMZ and it makes no difference. We have a Nexus 6, and an iphone 5s.. neither connect.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

To both of you, if all lights are a solid green, then you have connection to the AT&T servers. If your phones can't connect (M-Cell displayed) then something is preventing your phones from connecting to the AT&T Mobility network. In bfaber's case, he has a brand new MicroCell and ac adapter so that sort of rules out a defective MicroCell/power supply.

Support has probably told you to do this already but I would power cycle your entire system; router, modem, and finally the MicroCell. If that doesn't work and you still have solid green lights (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G) then try a hard reset on the MicroCell. That forces the unit to go thru the Initial Activation sequence, part of which is detecting the closest tower and adjusting the MicroCell's power output and downloading any updates that may be available. If, after that, you still have solid green lights but no connection to your phones then I'd turn your phones off completely and then back on again to see if you can re-establish connection. If that doesn't, I'd try to Reset Network Settings (at least on the iPhone, I don't know how that's done on other phones). Keep in mind that you will lose your passwords at least on the iPhone so plan ahead. IF all of that doesn't work, and you still have  solid green lights, then I'd start looking at your hardware and ISP. TWC and Comcast are sill hoping for the merger so maybe they've started to upgrade their systems in prepartation of and what ever they've done is affecting the MicroCell. Too many variables to point to a direct cause at this point in time.

The MicroCell is a dumb device in that all it needs to do is maintain a secure VPN to AT&T, and if the router requirements are met at all times (the light pattern isn't always an indicator of that), and you phone has the lastest OS that is compatible with the MicroCell, it should work. The fact that both of you seem to have lost phone connection and around the same time with a perfectly functioning MicroCell beforehand may indicate something going on with your ISP and/or phone OS. Don't expect your ISPs to help you because they won't. The MicroCell is not their product and it's just easier for them to blame AT&T than try to help you. Maybe they've pushed an update to your routers. It's really hard to say at this point in time where the problem lies. And, AT&T could be having issues with their MicroCell Service Areas.

Scholar

• 

125 Messages

9 years ago

Looks like they might be having tech issues with the Microcells. Mine went out sometime today (when I checked this morning it was down) I called for asistance, it ended up being sent to an investigation ticket.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Ok. bfaber, Nthknd, and jeremy1069fm, please post your ISP and location (just city/state is enough) or pm with the info. There may be an outage with your MicroCell Service Area(s) so we need to see if there is a pattern. In the meantime, please send a pm to CustomerCare as well with the problem, what you have done to correct it, your account info, the best way for them to contact you and, most importantly, your location. I'll follow-up on Monday cause not much is going to happen over the weekend.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Beaverton OR, Comcast here..

Scholar

• 

125 Messages

9 years ago

Kenosha, WI Time Warner

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I'm no tech savvy guy, but my phone also stopped connecting to my Microcell five days ago. After hours on the phone with tech support they sent me a new Microcell, a black one to replace the old white one. Still no connection to phone after registration and activation. Again days of calls to tech support, trying everything to no avail. Tonight I unplugged all equipment and restarted everything. While everything was unplugged I called Comcast and had them send a refresh signal to my internet modem. Lo and behold when the Microcell came back up I now have connection!  Just a suggestion, but those with Comcast might try the refresh signal to their modem. It worked for me.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.