What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 4:53 AM

MICROCELL ISSUES UPDATE

PLEASE pm your issues to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your problem, what you have done to correct it, any trouble ticket numbers assigned to you by Support, your account info, the best way for them to contact you, your ISP and location.

Reason: the only way that AT&T is going to prioritize common isses is if a minimum number of common issues (called the tipping point) are received by CustomerCare. Support rarely reads these forums let alone offer any help other than what I just suggested, so reach out to them directly with a pm. 

Sudden loss of connectivity. Was originally reported in early December by mostly Southern California Bright House (Charter/TWC) customers and was corrected in about a week. The reason was a backbone issue with the ISP due to hardware upgrades (merger related). There are still random outages being reported with different ISPs, regions, and phones, but because of the randomness, it's difficult to pinpoint the cause. Not all MicroCell customers have been affected. PM CustomerCare for the reason I gave.

Garbled incoming calls. AT&T is really working on this but it too is random so pinpointing the cause has become very challenging to say the least. What has helped to prioritize the problem is the number of pm's that CustomerCare has received so keep those cards and letters coming in folks Smiley Wink

Call waiting/conference calls. This is one of those odd ones where not a whole lot of people have complained to CustomerCare so it is not a prioritized issue. AT&T claims that you can do call waiting and conference calling on the MicroCell and I've done that without issues. But I don't do it often enough to know if any problems arise over periods of time. This is low on the totem pole of importance.

Look into WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if you can. I prefer it over the MicroCell because call quality and reliability is much better. If you are in a mixed environment (phones that are not WiFi-C capable) and need the MicroCell, it's still possible but you need to put the WiFi-C phone in Airplane Mode first.

Supports' answer is to either replace the MicroCell or have you deactivate/reactivate your MicroCell. Replacing the MicroCell has not corrected any of the above problems but at least you get a newer MicroCell in the process. Deactivating/reactivating does not work and has its own set of issues. If you send a request to deactivate, and then reactivate right afterwards, the deactivate request may not have enough time to go thru the system completely, and then when the activate request is sent, there are conflicting commands which may lock the account up so that the activation request can't be properly processed. That used to generate an error message but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, at least not that's been reported here.

I will keep pushing AT&T for any information that I can get and will post what I am allowed to. In the meantime, PM CustomerCare.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Dear Otto Pylot,

I just PM'ed AT&T Customer Care using the link you supplied. I depowered the microcell and turned on Wi-Fi Calling on all the iPhone 6's we have in the family (4 of them). That seems to work better than the garbled incoming calls via the microcell. Will wait for AT&T's response but WiFi calling may just be the best alternative as you pointed out in the thread. Thanks for your help and I will let you know what AT&T Care says.  MAny thanks,  George

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@georgeg1955 - Thanks. WiFi-C does seem to be way to go. If we weren't a mixed environment I'd be using WiFi-C exclusively.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

For me personally the wifi calling isnt great. I feel like my service is just in between being good and bad so the wifi calling goes on and off all the time and the calls are terrible. The microcell was the perfect solution to this and it was working great for a long time until ATT messed it up.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@Luckydcxx - I'm surprised that WiFi-C is not working better for you. It does use two of the same four ports that are required by the MicroCell but that shouldn't make a difference. If you have the MicroCell disabled, have setup WiFi-C correctly (do not use WiFi Assist because it has nothing at all to do with WiFi-C), then the only factor is your WiFi, in most cases. Unless the tower signal is just strong enough to force your phone to search for the better signal.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

@ATTHelpForums - I have PM'd(Per @OttoPylot's instructions), and I have gone into an AT&T store. I am just about to call customer service and speak to retentions, this is getting this bad.

First off, I have the issue where incoming calls are cabled for approximately 10 seconds. 

Secondly, I have not one, but TWO microcells. They are separated by 75 miles. They both use the same ISP - Comcast. One is the old white version, one is the black version.

BOTH of them have the same exact issue - ~10 seconds of an incoming call is garbled. Both of them seem to ONLY have the issue with my Android phone. (Nexus 5X - Android 7.1.1)

I have, at one location (With the new style Microcell):

* Replaced the cable.

* Moved the device's physical location

* Moved the device's logical location in my network.

* Rebooted everything in the network.

* Updated firmware on my firewall. (An actual firewall - not a consumer level wifi gateway.)

* Left it unplugged for 24hrs +.

* Set my phone to 3G only.

* Rebooted my phone.

* Updated my phone

* Left my phone off for one hour and booted it back up OUTSIDE the Microcell coverage area.

* Called AT&T technical support and spoken to them AT LENGTH about this issue. Twice. At least an hour or two troubleshooting each time. I have an engineering case, which I have not heard much on, to prove it.

* Turned off any other wireless devices in the house

* Tested the iPhone vs. Android issue at length with the old style microcell.

At this point, I can reproduce the issue AT WILL. If you want someone to test with, I can help - I may not know my way around cell towers and their technology, but my day job involves server and network support - I can and will help you out any which way I can.

I work from home - my job is dependent on this, and due to my house being a basic farraday cage, I have to have a Microcell. My job is being on conference calls. I cannot, repeat, cannot work like this much longer. When a Sr. director of a multi-billion dollar company calls me, and I have to tell him I'll hang up and call him back? That's not good.

Please. PM me. I will help you. Or enable Wifi calling on Nexus 5X.....

My 8x8 results - it doesn't show the speed, but that was approimately 19Mb/sec down, and 6Mb/sec up. Everything came up green.

Upstream jitter 0.6 ms
Downstream jitter 4.0 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.0
REGISTER ms 220 ms
INVITE ms 241 ms
BYE ms 157 ms
Test customers

---- ENVIRONMENT ---------------------------------
Local time = Feb 10, 2017 9:43:32 PM
Test server = http://192.84.16.30:82/
Local IP = 192.168.1.138
OS Name = Windows 10
OS Version = 10.0
Java VM = Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_121
Tick Resolution = 1 ms
User Name = XXXX
User Home Directory = C:\Users\XXXX
--------------------------------------------------

---- TEST CONFIGURATION (voip) -------------------
Configuration fields not mentioned take default values
Basic settings:
discardms = 50
simulationseconds = 10
dscp = 0
packetspersecond = 50
appletticket =
bytesperpacket = 160
siptests = RIB
lines = 1
omitpackets = 0
Override settings:
(no settings)
--------------------------------------------------

---- TEST AUDIT LOG ------------------------------
SIP Times:
REGISTER: 220 ms
INVITE: 241 ms
BYE: 157 ms
Beginning test, ip=192.84.16.30, port=UDP-20000...
Found server, sending data...
Finished test, obtaining results...

Upstream Loss: 0.0% (=0/500)
Upstream Order: 100.0% (=249500/249500)
Upstream Jitter: ave=0.77ms, max=10.740000000000002ms
Downstream Loss: 0.0% (=0/500)
Downstream Order: 100.0% (=249500/249500)
Downstream Jitter: ave=4.03ms, max=19.483999999999995ms

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Additionally, one of the techs I had spoken to, Richard, emailed me back a week or so after our initial call - 

This is Richard , we had talked earlier in regards to a delay when you were talking with your android phone through the Mcell . The Samsung rep did say that there was a known issue with some android phones , and he was going to look up the issue and see if there was a fix for it , other than turning off LTE on the phone . He said he would get back to me . Once I get a reply back , then I will get you the info .

When I had first spoken to richard, he knew that I had a Nexus 5X, but in the back of his mind he thought that his Samsung rep had said something about Microcell issues with Androids.... I replied back and gave him my Engineering case number. I will be happy to PM all of this, again, for your perusal.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@JakeMcD - issues with Android phones is something that AT&T can't correct. We have lots of complaints with Android-based phonse. This is the downside of an open-source OS.

Your upstream and downstream jitter may be problematic if your posted results are the best you can do. That's why we suggest you run the test a couple of times at different times of the day to get a good idea of your overall line quality instead of a single point in time.

My house is basically a farady cage as well. Metal roof with stucco/wire walls but we have no issues at all with iPhones (3GS to 7).

Your VoIP results mention SIP. Do you have Vonage or some other VoIP service? If your ISP supplied router is a telephony router that could be a problem as well.

There are definitely issues with AT&T, but the problem is that other issues can have the same results, so it is hard to determine exactly what the problem is and where it lies.

As far as WiFi-C goes, most folks prefer that (me included) but your phone has to have the firmware (hardware) capable of that so that is an issue that you need to take up with the phone mfr, not AT&T.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

@OttoPylot (This is probably something you already know) but after spending the better part of yesterday on the phone with AT&T Tech Support / Advanced Support, they opened a CM case and escalated this concern to their engineering staff.  I got a Text Message this morning advising the issues with Inbound MicroCell calls had been combined into a larger Parent Ticket, and that this issue is not an isolated one - and is apparently a more widespread issue that AT&T is looking at.

So, I'm happy that AT&T has given some feedback that they are aware of the issue (and understand it is something to do with their routing/network handoff, rather than the issue NOT being on their side).  I worked with them yesterday and tested the MicroCell device at 3 different property addresses in Las Vegas, using 3 different ISP's.. all with the same outcome (either garbled inbound calls or totally unusable inbound calling services when connected to the MicroCell device).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for all your help in addressing this problem.  Hopefully a positive outcome will be forthcoming.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@stalkerlake - you're welcome. But with labor union contract issues that AT&T is facing right now, I'm not sure where the priorites are.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.