What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 4:53 AM

MICROCELL ISSUES UPDATE

PLEASE pm your issues to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your problem, what you have done to correct it, any trouble ticket numbers assigned to you by Support, your account info, the best way for them to contact you, your ISP and location.

Reason: the only way that AT&T is going to prioritize common isses is if a minimum number of common issues (called the tipping point) are received by CustomerCare. Support rarely reads these forums let alone offer any help other than what I just suggested, so reach out to them directly with a pm. 

Sudden loss of connectivity. Was originally reported in early December by mostly Southern California Bright House (Charter/TWC) customers and was corrected in about a week. The reason was a backbone issue with the ISP due to hardware upgrades (merger related). There are still random outages being reported with different ISPs, regions, and phones, but because of the randomness, it's difficult to pinpoint the cause. Not all MicroCell customers have been affected. PM CustomerCare for the reason I gave.

Garbled incoming calls. AT&T is really working on this but it too is random so pinpointing the cause has become very challenging to say the least. What has helped to prioritize the problem is the number of pm's that CustomerCare has received so keep those cards and letters coming in folks Smiley Wink

Call waiting/conference calls. This is one of those odd ones where not a whole lot of people have complained to CustomerCare so it is not a prioritized issue. AT&T claims that you can do call waiting and conference calling on the MicroCell and I've done that without issues. But I don't do it often enough to know if any problems arise over periods of time. This is low on the totem pole of importance.

Look into WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if you can. I prefer it over the MicroCell because call quality and reliability is much better. If you are in a mixed environment (phones that are not WiFi-C capable) and need the MicroCell, it's still possible but you need to put the WiFi-C phone in Airplane Mode first.

Supports' answer is to either replace the MicroCell or have you deactivate/reactivate your MicroCell. Replacing the MicroCell has not corrected any of the above problems but at least you get a newer MicroCell in the process. Deactivating/reactivating does not work and has its own set of issues. If you send a request to deactivate, and then reactivate right afterwards, the deactivate request may not have enough time to go thru the system completely, and then when the activate request is sent, there are conflicting commands which may lock the account up so that the activation request can't be properly processed. That used to generate an error message but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, at least not that's been reported here.

I will keep pushing AT&T for any information that I can get and will post what I am allowed to. In the meantime, PM CustomerCare.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

PM sent via the link in your sig.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@motoguy1 - thanks. The more pm's to CustomerCare, the better the chances are that AT&T will allocate more resources to the problem.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

7 years ago

@OttoPylot, I've had the Microcell for a few years now and I've got the white one.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@garyf33 -it probably wouldn't be a bad idea just to check the ac adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. It can't hurt to rule that out even though I'm pretty sure that's not the cause of the garbled voice.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Same issue here.  PM'd Customer Care already.  This is really irritating to find out this is a known issue without resolution!  Thanks OttoPylot for your coordination with this....

Details:

Comcast Internet

**Microcell is < 6 months old.  Issue started about 2 months ago if I recall.

Upstream jitter 1.2 ms
Downstream jitter 0.2 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.1
REGISTER ms 568 ms
INVITE ms 623 ms
BYE ms 321 ms

Hopefully we'll get some traction on this.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@volken73 - there is a little noise on your line based on the jitter but it's not bad. I would recommend running the test a few more times to make sure that isn't your best result. Thanks for pm'ing CustomerCare. AT&T has about 35,000 employees threatening to strike over contract negotiations since about December so it's anybody's guess as to when this will get resolved.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I cant believe i actually found this forum and other people are having the same problem. The exact issues descibe are effecting me. I have a few iphone 7's on my microcell and i cannot hear the other person for almost exacltly 15 seconds.  This all started a couple of months ago. I thought it was related to ios 10.1 update so i reported it to apple. Hopefully there is a fix for this soon. It is very annoying.

I live in NY and have verizon fios. There were ablsolutly no changes to any equipment on my network or any handsets. It just started happening one day. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@Luckydcxx - it is probably not related to iOS 10.1 because I'm running iOS 10.2.1 on my SE without any issues at all. In fact, we don't have any of the reported issues with an iPhone 3GS, 5, or 7.

This is a problem that is not network wide, specific to any one ISP or model of phone. Some of us are not experiencing these problems at all. The issue was first reported around the end of November first of December. Please read my post: https://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/MICROCELL-ISSUES-UPDATE/td-p/5031109#

There is no fix at this point in time.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

yes i saw your post, thank you for being very thourough with trying to fix this. You are doing more then ATT at this point is seems. 

Yes its deifintely not 10.1 i am on 10.3 beta 2 and the issue is still present and has been through every version of ios. I just thought it was when it first started. 

You can add an iphone 7 and and iphone 7+ to your list of effected devices because mine 100% have this problem. I sent a PM to att through your sig also. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@Luckydcxx - I doubt if it's the phone, even with 10.3 beta. Just for the record, you're a better man than I because I never install beta software Smiley Wink It's not the OS, it's something to do with the Mobility Servers and possibly the backend of the ISPs.

Thanks for sending the PM. It will definitely help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.