What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 4:53 AM

MICROCELL ISSUES UPDATE

PLEASE pm your issues to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your problem, what you have done to correct it, any trouble ticket numbers assigned to you by Support, your account info, the best way for them to contact you, your ISP and location.

Reason: the only way that AT&T is going to prioritize common isses is if a minimum number of common issues (called the tipping point) are received by CustomerCare. Support rarely reads these forums let alone offer any help other than what I just suggested, so reach out to them directly with a pm. 

Sudden loss of connectivity. Was originally reported in early December by mostly Southern California Bright House (Charter/TWC) customers and was corrected in about a week. The reason was a backbone issue with the ISP due to hardware upgrades (merger related). There are still random outages being reported with different ISPs, regions, and phones, but because of the randomness, it's difficult to pinpoint the cause. Not all MicroCell customers have been affected. PM CustomerCare for the reason I gave.

Garbled incoming calls. AT&T is really working on this but it too is random so pinpointing the cause has become very challenging to say the least. What has helped to prioritize the problem is the number of pm's that CustomerCare has received so keep those cards and letters coming in folks Smiley Wink

Call waiting/conference calls. This is one of those odd ones where not a whole lot of people have complained to CustomerCare so it is not a prioritized issue. AT&T claims that you can do call waiting and conference calling on the MicroCell and I've done that without issues. But I don't do it often enough to know if any problems arise over periods of time. This is low on the totem pole of importance.

Look into WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if you can. I prefer it over the MicroCell because call quality and reliability is much better. If you are in a mixed environment (phones that are not WiFi-C capable) and need the MicroCell, it's still possible but you need to put the WiFi-C phone in Airplane Mode first.

Supports' answer is to either replace the MicroCell or have you deactivate/reactivate your MicroCell. Replacing the MicroCell has not corrected any of the above problems but at least you get a newer MicroCell in the process. Deactivating/reactivating does not work and has its own set of issues. If you send a request to deactivate, and then reactivate right afterwards, the deactivate request may not have enough time to go thru the system completely, and then when the activate request is sent, there are conflicting commands which may lock the account up so that the activation request can't be properly processed. That used to generate an error message but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, at least not that's been reported here.

I will keep pushing AT&T for any information that I can get and will post what I am allowed to. In the meantime, PM CustomerCare.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I didn't mean to imply the red light was related to this problem, but rebooting to fix that led me to retry using my microcell. I too had the 10 seconds of audio cutting in and out like others in this thread for ~6 months. Thankfully, that is now resolved.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@nyr56 - some had to reboot the MicroCell before the fix would apply.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

I have an AT&T "4G" femtocell. Actually it allows only HSPA connections. In other words it is a 3.9G, not 4G.

I'd like to know when AT&T will finally launch a real LTE femtocell in the market!

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@mechaileh - no, you do not have an AT&T 4G femtocell. The MicroCell as always been, and will always be, 3G only. The phone may indicate 4G at times while connected to the MicroCell but that is just how the phone is interpreting the 3G signal with HSPA + enabled. AT&T's LTE operates on the 700 MHz band whereas the MicroCell, by FCC regulations to 850 MHz or 1900 MHz depending on the licensing for that area.

I would be very surprised if Cisco/AT&T spends any more time and money developing a totally new femtocell with WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) becoming more prevalent on phones, and is the preferred method for making/receiving calls when in-home coverage is weak or non-existent.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi, Goodmorning my micro cell only has the power button and the next one up showing I've unplug everything and waited then plug it back in but nothing has work. And this morning it said it needed updated help pls

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@Cheryl2263 - which MicroCell model do you have, white or black? Did if ever work before? I've never seen a message that says your MicroCell needs updating. Updates are typically done at night during maintenance and are never announced. We need more info on your setup, ISP, hardware, etc

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.