2014 ACE
Crowd Pleaser 2
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

Mon, Nov 13, 2017 6:38 PM

MicroCell End of Life Has Been Announced

The official end of life for the MicroCell will be at the end of this year (2017). AT&T will stop selling the MicroCell except at Corporate Stores who still have them in stock. However, AT&T will continue to support the MicroCell for an unspecified period of time next year. Of course that will mean that most of the "support" will be trying to convince customers to upgrade their phones to WiFi-C capable phones. We will still be around as usual for support questions but don't expect to get much out of AT&T.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
cryptmagic

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

4年前

It's funny people say to switch to wifi calling, but it you buy an unlocked Samsung s9 the U1 model you do not get wifi calling. So for the people who keep applauding this decision, you aren't effected by this decision. They could always sell a 4g microcell. Another example of ATT forcing customers to do what they want. 

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

4年前

@cryptmagic

No one is applauding.  But this is what ATT is doing and you are being given the options.  You can hope for policy change, or adapt to work with it.  

I would prefer there be enough towers so as not to need the microcell, but that didn’t happen either.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.5K Messages

4年前

@cryptmagic - AT&T is planning for the future. 3G will be dead soon (along with the MicroCell) so 4G/LTE/5G is the future. For a billion dollar company, AT&T doesn't want to spend the resources, research and maintenance to develop a 4G femtocell. Makes no sense to me but that's the way it is. AT&T answers to the shareholders, not necessarily the customer's needs. With the issues that AT&T had/has with the current MicroCell and ISP's, customer's hardware, etc it just didn't make sense to pursue a 4G femtocell.

The iPhone is certainly far from the perfect phone but the various "flavors" and open-sourceless of the Android OS makes it difficult to keep current or support. I don't necessarily agree with that either (with the billions that AT&T makes you'd think someone in their IT/Development departments could figure things out) but again, that's the way it is.

WiFi-C, a cellular booster, switch carriers, or possibly try Google Voice are your only real alternatives if you have poor in-home coverage and want to continue with AT&T as your carrier.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.