Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
OttoPylot
Crowd Pleaser 3
2014 ACE
Crowd Pleaser 2
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

Mon, Nov 13, 2017 6:38 PM

MicroCell End of Life Has Been Announced

The official end of life for the MicroCell will be at the end of this year (2017). AT&T will stop selling the MicroCell except at Corporate Stores who still have them in stock. However, AT&T will continue to support the MicroCell for an unspecified period of time next year. Of course that will mean that most of the "support" will be trying to convince customers to upgrade their phones to WiFi-C capable phones. We will still be around as usual for support questions but don't expect to get much out of AT&T.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.4K Messages

4年前

@pgrey wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

@pgrey

I see the option in my son’s Razer phone.  I can’t find it on mine.  What’s the path?

@lizdance40

It's under Settings->SIM&Net->SIM, on my OP. 

I was really surprised, this conversation was what prompted my going there.  Previously, I could tweak a couple of settings, in DeveloperOptions, and I could see/set the switches, one-time-only, and they'd switch themselves back off.

So, thinking I didn't need any half-baked stuff enabled, I turned them back off.

Today, when I went to the SIM settings, I was surprised, even more so, when the settings seem to persist, even across a reboot.

They don't actually let me do any voice/text, over WiFi, at this point (I tried quite a few combos), and NetworkCellInfoLite still says it's not fully enabled, but it seems like provisioning is changing, hopefully?

If you're not finding the SIM settings, just use the search at the top of the main Settings page.

It's been >3 weeks since the phone app was updated, and the last firmware was back around the 2nd week of August, so it doesn't seem like some weird thing OnePlus did, at least not obviously anyway.

It's never been there, but now it's plain-as-day, the way people in Europe and other non-US locations, where posts show the WiFi text/call, and VoLTE.

Strange stuff, I think there's some provisioning changes coming down, maybe AT&T is going to the "real RCS" or something.  

@GLIMMERMAN76, Have you heard anything, being in the "thick" of Android dev, you always seem to have these little tidbits, stored away ;-]

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  @OttoPylot, my OP6 has the ability to set a preference, which I bet pretty strongly weights either cell or WiFi.

@pgrey

Its google adding code..  They are going for the universal RCS profile and they keep adding stuff.  It will be interesting to see what happens when they go live with it as ATT is signed on for it.

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4年前

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@pgrey wrote:

@lizdance40 wrote:

@pgrey

I see the option in my son’s Razer phone.  I can’t find it on mine.  What’s the path?

@lizdance40

It's under Settings->SIM&Net->SIM, on my OP. 

I was really surprised, this conversation was what prompted my going there.  Previously, I could tweak a couple of settings, in DeveloperOptions, and I could see/set the switches, one-time-only, and they'd switch themselves back off.

So, thinking I didn't need any half-baked stuff enabled, I turned them back off.

Today, when I went to the SIM settings, I was surprised, even more so, when the settings seem to persist, even across a reboot.

They don't actually let me do any voice/text, over WiFi, at this point (I tried quite a few combos), and NetworkCellInfoLite still says it's not fully enabled, but it seems like provisioning is changing, hopefully?

If you're not finding the SIM settings, just use the search at the top of the main Settings page.

It's been >3 weeks since the phone app was updated, and the last firmware was back around the 2nd week of August, so it doesn't seem like some weird thing OnePlus did, at least not obviously anyway.

It's never been there, but now it's plain-as-day, the way people in Europe and other non-US locations, where posts show the WiFi text/call, and VoLTE.

Strange stuff, I think there's some provisioning changes coming down, maybe AT&T is going to the "real RCS" or something.  

@GLIMMERMAN76, Have you heard anything, being in the "thick" of Android dev, you always seem to have these little tidbits, stored away ;-]

Oh yeah, almost forgot.  @OttoPylot, my OP6 has the ability to set a preference, which I bet pretty strongly weights either cell or WiFi.

@pgrey

Its google adding code..  They are going for the universal RCS profile and they keep adding stuff.  It will be interesting to see what happens when they go live with it as ATT is signed on for it.

@GLIMMERMAN76 Weird, via Treble then, since I haven't had any updates to firmware/OS for 5 weeks or so, or the phone app?  I assume it's "background" updates, since the modules are abstracted?

If you ask me, it's *weird* right now, because all the options are there, and enable-able, but they don't do anything, at least in terms of functionally (they certainly could be trying to create linkage, and failing).

I know AT&T is signed on for "actual" RCS implementation, but they've been pretty hush-hush about the whole thing.  It'll be interesting if they're sort of getting their "hand forced" to some degree.  Even more interesting if Samsung is all hung up on this, they're going to have 3-4 kinds of "RCS functionality", it would seem like, all theoretically abstracted so the customer has the same experience (one can hope...).

Is it possible Google "went live" with their side, and AT&T is trying to get their server-side implemented still, and in the meantime we have these switches that are effectively "nulled out"?

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4年前

@pgrey.    Wait....did you go up to the oneplus 6 while I wasn’t paying attention?  I’m still on the 5t.  That might explain why I don’t have a Wifi calling option in it.  

(I’m just looking for an excuse ya know)

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4年前

@lizdance40 Yeah, the 6P that my wife was using started to wane, in terms of battery, so she's got the 5T and I got a 6 (really, except for a slightly better camera, I wish I still had the 5T, it was more stable).

I think though, that the 5T is at least 0.5-1 firmware revision "ahead" of the 6, in terms of their release process.

If it's coming down via Treble though, these changes pushed that way, then it would make sense that the 6 has it, and the 5T doesn't (I don't think OP plans to back-implement Treble on the 5T, it's a bit of a nightmare for them, in terms of the SSD partitions, to transition to a full-blown 8.0 build).

Edit: This should get "interesting", as more 8.0-shipped devices proliferate, and more changes are pushed by Google, outside of either the OEM or carrier channel.  Hopefully everyone is reading the change-logs, and keeping track of what they need to, to make new features work.  The current issue with my WiFi call/text and VoLTE flags would seem to indicate otherwise, currently.

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4年前

@pgrey

Okay, you talked me out of it.  My nephews both got the 6 and my sister is really liking the brand.   I haven’t had any phone that kept me happy for 10 months before. 

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4年前

@lizdance40, Yeah, I think I'd wait until the next revision, maybe the 6T, if it happens, or really a Snapdragon 955-based model, probably the 7 or whatever it ends up being, the 955 is a pretty big step forward, and maybe they'll move to a 4K display, along with ALL the flagships ;-]  Did I mention I really miss my Nexus6 and 950XL, and Nokia 1020 displays, all 4k, going way back, I'm a high-density screen guy (on ALL my devices, except the 6), I still have sharp eyes for my age, and the dithering on a 1080P screen REALLY bugs me. 

It probably doesn't help that I used to help developers (external) writing Windows display drivers, so I'm a bit picky, and can tell when they've done "shoddy algorithms" for some of the smoothing and such ;-]

My 6 is a LOT more stable than it was though, ultimately. The first couple of months (it was riddled with issue, I don't know how many bugs I filed, and recorded/sent subsequent traces to OP) were really bad, but now things "mostly work",  with the occasional glitch, but I really don't see the "upgrade" over the 5T (other than low-light pics, that's the real exception).

I agree with your sister, the "brand" seems to be heading the right way, IMHO, with the exception of their display.  The OS is close to stock, is VERY full-featured, and the support crew is excellent (they've learned to just email me, when I report a bug, and ask for trace logs ;-]), IME.

If AT&T lifts the stupid "whitelist" restriction, on WiFi call/text, which it seems might get "forced" via Google, I'd definitely stick with them (meaning OnePlus, but also AT&T, long-term).  

Edit: Also, their "release cycle" is really good, they fix reported bugs (I've seen several of mine go full-circle, including feedback from their test team), relatively quickly, and push builds pretty often.  I hope they can sustain this model, it's going to get hard if they have such large sales, and stick to the 2/year new-release cycle, I'd bet, unless they can get more of them on the exact same codebase (except the phone's firmware part, obviously).

If someone comes along similarly priced though, with a 4k screen, and also close-to-stock OS, particularly a 955 setup, I'd probably "jump" again.

I REALLY wonder, about the marketing departments at some of these places, how they view/discuss "brand loyalty", yeah...

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4年前

@windracer@AnClar@OttoPylot, sorry for the "semi" thread-hijack.  

While not directly relevant to the Microcell itself, the WiFi call/text proliferation issue is KEY, to their replacement/sunset ;-]

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

4年前

@pgrey

My next phone will depend on a few things, including how true this article is.  

https://bgr.com/2018/09/16/5g-smartphones-coming-when-att-2018/

As you know I have a phone on ATT and on Verizon.  Not much sense in buying a phone figuring it should last 2 years if 5G is one away.  (I’m wishful thinking).  5G is going to dictate a lot of my choices in the next 2 years.  And it may effect Home Internet options in the next 5+ 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

4年前

@lizdance40 and @pgrey - this conversation should be taken up in another thread cause it really has nothing to do with the MicroCell's EOL.

rjniles

Scholar

• 

213 Messages

4年前

My saga continues as what to do with the Micro Cell reaching EOL by years end. A replacement for the Micro Cell is critical as I have absolutely no over the air signal at my home.  As I have written in previous posts I am using Google Voice WIFI-C on my Moto E4 Plus and it works reasonably well. Sometimes it does not ring on incoming calls but I get a immediate text that I have a missed call and/or a voice mail. Outgoing calls work fine and call quality is good. My major nit is on outgoing calls the called party gets my GV caller ID number instead of my carrier number.

For the last few weeks my wife's Moto X4 has been going south. I know she will not live with the idiosyncrasies of GV so I need to get her real WIFI calling. Stopped at the local AT&T store and bought a Moto G6 Play. Brought it home, installed a 64 GB micro SD card and the SIM from here Moto X4, and copied all her apps and music to the new G6. It connected to the Micro Cell so I activated WIFI-C, went on line and removed her number from the approved # list and rebooted the G6. The display icon indicated the WIFI-C was active so I made test calls and texts in and out. All worked well and call quality is good. Problem solved.

My wish is that sometime soon AT&T will realize the problem of people with non AT&T branded Android phones and allow WIFI-C for all capable devices. I also continue to buy Power Ball tickets.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

4年前

@rjniles - The MicroCell has already reached its EOL because AT&T stopped sales at the end of last year. Whether the service itself is discontinued at the end of this year is still unknown. My feeling is that AT&T will start to officially phase it out by either shutting down a couple of ports (2 of the same 4 ports are still required for WiFi-C) or just letting it die a slow death by having support tell customers that it is no longer supported and they need to move on. Either way, as soon as I am allowed to post anything about the service stopping I will.

The Android/non-branded phone issue has been around for some time and I don't know, or care, what AT&T is going to do. They are moving in a new direction and what those plans are nobody knows (including a lot of folks within AT&T).

I'm glad you got your wife's phone up and running trouble-free with WiFi-C. Sounds like you might consider doing the same thing with your phone, and keep buying PowerBall tickets Smiley Wink Cellular boosters work very well for most people if you can get at least one to two bars of signal outside of your house. Some can even work with virtually any network so you're not tied to AT&T. However, they are pricey and installation, if you DIY, can be a bit daunting. Check out my Cellular Booster Guide if you haven't done so already.

We switched to WiFi-C exclusively in January when we moved into the new house and haven't looked back since. Call quality is exceptional  and we've never had any issues.

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4年前

@OttoPylot Yeah, pretty much all the MobileForce/Surecall models support the entire band/frequency range, for all the 3G/LTE carriers, in NA, so that part about them is super-handy.  This was a key part of my decision, when I bought my units, that they be full "carrier portable", essentially.

And yeah, I get that they're going to say "move on", at some point, but does that mean "move on from us, as a carrier, if you want to BYOD, and need to use a MicroCell/WiFiC", essentially?

This seems like a sketchy stance, at-best, basically an un-BYOD, for some set.

I can just the the support calls now: "A: Sir, we've shut down the m-cel service, so if you can't reach a tower, you'll need to use WiFi call/text.  C: But I have a OnePlus6, that I just purchased two months ago (non-returnable now), and it won't let me use those.  A: Well, you'll need to purchase a new AT&T branded device, in order to use call/text from those location(s).  C: What do I do with my OP6?  A: I don't have any suggestions for you there, good luck...

Yeah.

Sorry, for getting a bit soap-boxy here, but I think this is a very impending issue, the question is more around how many would  be relying on WiFi call/text, that don't have branded (or iOS I suppose, I still don't get that one...) devices.

I wonder how THAT discussion goes, when the un-branded device, from one manufacturer works fine, but essentially no others do, I have trouble wrapping my head around the whole legality, really.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

4年前

@pgrey - AT&T's business decisions have always seemed to be more business oriented than consumer friendly. Not that they have to bend over backwards for the consumer but certain aspects, like WiFi-C availability on their network regardless of phone (as long as it's an IMEI that is recognized on the AT&T network) mfr should be a given.

The MicroCell is old dead technology, stuck at 3G speeds so AT&T sees no need to pump more money into it keep it current (4G/LTE at least). AT&T branded phones that are WiFi-C capable don't have any R&D or marketing to speak of so they are relatively cheap. Even AT&T's MetroCell (which is their version of a cellular booster for business) has all sorts of issues so who knows what AT&T is doing. For me, our phones have always worked with the MicroCell and WiFi-C for what we want them to do so it's really a non-issue for us. However, that is not the case for lots of folks so I really feel for you guys. Wish AT&T would wake up , smell the coffee, and address those issues.

pgrey

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

4年前

@OttoPylot Yeah, completely agree.  

Hopefully the m-cell EOL will force this to change; it seems like *something* has to, or all of a sudden a big chunk of customers are going to be stuck...

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.8K Messages

4年前

@pgrey - given how AT&T handled the announcement of the MicroCell's EOL last year, and how informed they keep their first tier (and in a lot of cases second and third tier) support folks it's going to be a real mess, and the MicroCell Forum will probably go ballistic. That's why I hope I can start posting early like I did last October giving folks a heads up on what's coming once I'm told I can do so.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.