Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
BigSmoove's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 6:56 PM

Microcell -all lights and bars good-no internet. fascinating discovery

I posted in the lounge first befoer i realized I could post in here................

Bought a Microcell booster. went through AT&T before purchase and all was well. Activated it, got all solid green on the front, my Iphone 6plus has 5 bars with the M-Cell logo at the top. Problem is i cant log onto any internet. I have searched and see this is a problem with my phone. I've done all de-activate, re-activate, remove numbers, network resets, power down, everything I could find. Finally break down and call AT&T support. After about 30 minutes the young lady tells me it only works for phone calls and text, not internet. I was like WHAT???? AT&T sold me this booster knowing I didnt want it for phone calls but rather streaming videos from the internet. Is this true? This is the first I have ever heard this explanantion.

Thanks

Smoove

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

I wouldn't dream of using the Mcell for streaming video as you stated in your initial post.  3G speeds are simply too slow for that application.

From what little information you provided (ie. no posted subscribed bandwidth), it sounds like you don't have enough subscribed bandwidth from your DSL ISP.  The stuttering/lag you are experiencing is due to insufficient bandwidth, on your WiFi.  The fact that you can get good streaming performance via cellular with a good cell tower signal but don't when connected to your WiFi re-enforces my opinion.

Post your subscribed DSL ISP bandwidth and a speedtest to see what your connection speeds are via WiFi.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

8 years ago

Exactly, as @Avedis53 wrote.  If you already had good cellular service at home a microcell isn't needed.  It is strictly for those who get no cell signal for talk and text in their home.  

What you need is better home internet service.  We realize that isn't always possible as some people don't live in an area with broadband cable or fiber internet.  (Once again I am thankful.)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.