Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
BigSmoove's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, November 15th, 2016 6:56 PM

Microcell -all lights and bars good-no internet. fascinating discovery

I posted in the lounge first befoer i realized I could post in here................

Bought a Microcell booster. went through AT&T before purchase and all was well. Activated it, got all solid green on the front, my Iphone 6plus has 5 bars with the M-Cell logo at the top. Problem is i cant log onto any internet. I have searched and see this is a problem with my phone. I've done all de-activate, re-activate, remove numbers, network resets, power down, everything I could find. Finally break down and call AT&T support. After about 30 minutes the young lady tells me it only works for phone calls and text, not internet. I was like WHAT???? AT&T sold me this booster knowing I didnt want it for phone calls but rather streaming videos from the internet. Is this true? This is the first I have ever heard this explanantion.

Thanks

Smoove

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

8 years ago

The MicroCell is not an internet device per se. It uses your internet connection to reach the ATT Mobility servers for cellular calls when cell reception is poor in your home. It is limited to about 3.0Mbps download which is plenty for voice (VoIP). Enabling WiFi on your phone will help because video should go thru your WiFi connection if your phone can separate the two. Some phones handle that better than others.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

8 years ago

By the way, the MicroCell is not a cellular booster. It is a femtocell which is an actual mini-tower sending out a 3G cellular signal.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks to all that replied.
Here's the deal. When on just Wifi it buffers and lags. When on 3 bars of cellular data it does great but drops to 2 bars and starts the same buffering/lag issue. I got the microcell to improve this.
With 5 bars of microcell I can't open any internet site i.e.; YouTube , Facebook.

Are you saying with 5 bars microcell AND wifi, it should be better??

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

8 years ago

What Otto is saying is the microcell is not a cellular booster.  It provides talk and text over your home wifi.  Data is provided by your home wifi.  

If you phone is buffering and lagging on home wifi, then your home wifi is poor, or something is wrong with the phone.  

I will assume the phone works well other places where you access wifi or have a good cell connection.  So the problem is your home wifi.  

What have you got?  DSL?   Broadband?   What speed?   Please don't say Satellite.   The microcell is specifically for cable or wired internet, NOT for satellite internet.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

No it's not satellite. I did my research before purchasing. I THOUGHT calling customer support would have answered my questions correctly before I purchased. It's DSL

I don't quite understand the reply about running wifi with 5 bars of microcell. Does it improve having full bars of microcell with wifi running?

Smoove

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

8 years ago

Your confusing 3G talk and text connection - which it seems has 5 bars thanks to the microcell 

With a data connection.  

The microcell is not for data.   Your data connection has not improved because you are still getting the same old wifi connection through your DSL internet.  

With a great deal of fussing you can get data through the microcell,  at the same miserable slow 3G speed you are getting now.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Well $200+ down the toilet. Thanks AT&T support 😡

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

8 years ago

@BigSmoove wrote:
No it's not satellite. I did my research before purchasing. I THOUGHT calling customer support would have answered my questions correctly before I purchased. It's DSL

I don't quite understand the reply about running wifi with 5 bars of microcell. Does it improve having full bars of microcell with wifi running?

Smoove

We always recommend leaving WiFi enabled when using the MicroCell. If your phone is smart enough, it will use your WiFi connection for all things considered data and just use the MicroCell for voice, which is what it is intended for. WiFi and the MicroCell's 3G are totally independent of each other. The only advantage is that the WiFi will handle the data part in most cases leaving the MicroCell free for voice. I too have a DSL connection and have absolutely no issues with the MicroCell whether I'm receiving/placing a call, receiving/sending an SMS/MMS to other iPhones users or  non-iPhone users, etc. Even FaceTiming is clear and trouble-free for long periods of time. I can disable WiFi and still use the MicroCell for internet browsing and other fun things but it is slow due to the download limitation. Which is not meant to imply throttling because it's not. 3-5Mbps is plenty sufficient for voice and a little data.

If you thought the MicroCell was a cellular booster that would increase the quality of your internet experience then you really didn't do your homework well enough. Sorry.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the shot at me with your last statement. Verifying through AT&T about why and what I wanted the microcell for should have been plenty of homework. If anybody should have had the knowledge it should have been the people who sold the thing to me.

Your smug sarcastic attitude came through loud and clear. Karma my friend........

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

8 years ago

@BigSmoove wrote:
Thanks for the shot at me with your last statement. Verifying through AT&T about why and what I wanted the microcell for should have been plenty of homework. If anybody should have had the knowledge it should have been the people who sold the thing to me.

Your smug sarcastic attitude came through loud and clear. Karma my friend........

One of the reasons we are here is because of poor customer service/support that foks get from AT&T. Support doesn't get proper training imo, followup training, or even support that they need to adequately help the customer. There are some who really want to, and try very hard, to help the customer, but they are in the minority. If I was a bit harsh, I apologize.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.