What is happening with 3G?
A

• 

2 Messages

Tue, May 26, 2020 2:32 PM

I moved my microcell and now it won't connect back at home

I didn't realize AT&T stopped supporting the Microcell. It has worked great for me for a long time in my NYC apartment. I recently moved it and now it isn't working. How can I get it to recognize that it is back in its regular spot/usual address?

I've tried unplugging it a bunch, can't get through to manage settings on the online portal through safari, chorme, different computers, etc. Keep hitting a deadend online. Is there an email or number I can call for help to "reactivate"? The app says it is activated, but know someone said that doesn't work anymore either.

Please help!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

2年前

@asb5ea AT&T stopped selling the MicroCell at the end of 2017 because it had reached its EOL. The service will contine until AT&T begins to shutdown their 3G service, probably between Feb 2021 and certainly by Feb. 2022. WiFi-C is what is recommended now if your phone is capable.

If you haven't changed any account information then you should be able to move your MicroCell to another location and just change the address where it is physically located. If that other location is within the same apartment, it could be a situation where there is something at its new location that is blocking the GPS signal and so the MicroCell cannot send its coordinates, or the new location has a new GPS location that is not understood by the Location Database. Apartment buildings are very difficult because of the GPS coordinates sent not always matching the physical address location. If that's the case, it could be that the Locational Database was updated at some point in time and there isn't a "match" for the GPS location and the simple act of moving it from one to another lost the "connection" and now there is nothing to validate your location. If you move your MicroCell to another room of even another location (summer home for example) you should not have to deactivate it. They are designed for portability, as long as the router and account requirements are still met.

Which model of MicroCell do you have, what does the light pattern look like and who is your ISP? Any upgrades to your equipment or service?

I might add that technically the MicroCell is still supported but realistically it's getting more and more difficult.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

Model - DPH-154

The bars light blinks red and the satellite light below it blinks green. The other two are solid green.

Spectrum is my Internet Provider. No upgrades to my equipment since it worked last a week ago.

I am in a NYC studio apartment (basically one room) so shouldn't be an issue of moving in the house. It is in the same spot as before and close to a window.

Thanks!

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

@asb5ea the flashing green 3G light can mean a couple of things. Most common is that there is no connection to the AT&T Mobility Servers. The flashing green GPS light (satellite) means that the MicroCell is checking location via GPS. It will continue to flash green while it is performing the location check. Once it has completed the light will remain green. That doens't mean that location has been verified that just means it is done checking location.

I would suggest leaving it where you want and the performing a hard reset following the instructions given in my Tech Guide. Spectrum (Charter) has a long history of not playing nice with the MicroCell so I wouldn't put it past them to do something on their end (block a port for example) that has now affected the way the MicroCell can communicate with AT&T.

You might want to check the router to make sure that the router requirements are still being met, just in case.

Check the ac adapter with a voltmeter to make sure it read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load and then do a hard reset. Let us know.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

7 Messages

4分前

Access to the microcell application in order to input another address doesn’t seem to work in spit of using a 4G microcell. Itis working currently and haven’t failed at all. Yet when I want to add an additional phone number or move to another address there doesn’t seem to be a way to got into the application to make changes. 4G microcell and a 4G capable phone should still be active. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

@Captzack  The MicroCell was never 4G, it was a 3G device only. The MicroCell Settings page has also been broke for well over a year so it has been practically impossible to make any changes to your myAT&T MicroCell Settings page.

AT&T no longer supports the 3G network and started in earnest to shut it down on Feb. 22nd. We have been discussing the MicroCell going away for at least 2 years now. There may be a few service areas that are still 3G but they will be going away very quickly. The complete shutdown will probably take another week or so. AT&T is also not allowing any new, or old, 3G devices to register to the network anymore (the network that doesn't exist).

WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what is, and has been recommended for a couple of years now. Or, purchase the Cell Booster, which is the replacement for the MicroCell (but is still a femtocell). The Cell Booster is LTE. See my Tech Guide, link in my sig line, for info on the Cell Booster.

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

4分前

What about 4G ?

73blazer

• 

57 Messages

4分前

LTE is basically 4G. The new booster is LTE/4G

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

@Captzack What about 4G? If your phone is capable of the following bands, you're fine for using the Cell Booster:

• 700 MHz: Bands 
  • 850 MHz: Band 5
  • 1900 MHz: Band 2
  • 1700 MHz /2100 MHz: Bands 4/66
  • 2300 MHz: Band 30

The handset requirements for the Cell Booster are given in my Tech Guide. Most phones will just display LTE when connected to the Cell Booster as long as you have LTE selected on your phone if selecting is an option.

• 

7 Messages

4分前

So then having a 4G microcell is running on the 4G network if I understand it correctly. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

@Captzack  It would be beneficial if you use the term Cell Booster to distinguish it from the now discontinued and useless MicroCell. You may want to thumb thru my Cell Booster Technical Guide listed in my sig line. The MicroCell was 3G only. The Cell Booster is 4G/LTE only and will work just fine if your phone supports AT&T's post-3G LTE network requirements.

• 

7 Messages

4分前

The DPH 154 model microcell is 4G and LTE capable and should still be working on the 4G network. 

AT&T Cisco MicroCell 4g/LTE wireless cell signal booster DPH154

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313889985861?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338373193&toolid=10049&customid=725666{{Social Security Number detected, text hidden}}076937.1646248901

(edited)

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

@Captzack  No. The DPH-151, 153, and 154 were all 3G only, period. There was a lot of misinformation posted about the black, DPH-154 model about it being 4G capable but it was not. All of that "stuff" you read on eBay about the MicroCel being 4G capable is totally bogus. I've been working with the MicroCell ever since the first one was introduced, and I have a shelf full of MicroCells, some taken apart, and they are not, or have ever been true 4G/LTE capable. Sometimes the phone will indicate 4G when connected to a MicroCell but that was just the phone interpreting AT&T's 3G signal as 4G.

Besides, there is no way you can even register or activate a MicroCell on AT&T's network because AT&T will recognize it as a 3G device and AT&T is not allowing any 3G devices to be registered now.

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

4分前

I see 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

I also might add that the MicroCell, and the Cell Booster for that matter, will only work on AT&T's network. They will not work on any other network.

• 

7 Messages

3分前

Well I’ve had a DPH-154 4G LTE microcell operating flawlessly since last October along with my 4g lte iPhone 5s, even after the 3 g system was terminated. Today we had a short power outage in the neighborhood and after the power was restored the microcell rebooted and even locked back onto the gps signal again but it’s been trying for at least 8 hours to sign back onto the system with no success. Any way to get it to log back on in the 4 g system ?

73blazer

• 

57 Messages

3分前

DPH-154 device is not 4g. it's 3g. And that...sorry to say...was shutoff on 22Feb. While some areas it may have persisted it was never guaranteed past 22Feb. Personally I saw my 3g just go out last week. 

So you either need to use WiFi-C or get a new LTE femtocell/booster.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

3分前

@Captzack as @73blazer pointed out, the MicroCell (all three versions) were 3G only, regardless of what your phone indicated. It never had LTE capabilities. The GPS lock is meaningless because there is no service for the MicroCell to register to. There is no way to re-activate the MicroCell because one, the AT&T MicroCell Settings page has been broken for almost 2 years and two, AT&T won't allow any 3G devices to be activated now. Your MicroCell Settings page has been purged of all data registration status. The MicroCell is either a doorstop or bookend now.

You should have either received a free Cell Booster with a current, active MicroCell account back in January/early February or an email that had a weblink (that never worked correctly) asking you to order a free Cell Booster if you still needed one. That program has since been terminated because demand exceeded supply and AT&T is getting ready to sell them.

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.