For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
PsyCoe's profile

Former Employee

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, November 20th, 2016 6:01 PM

Google Pixel MicroCell Support

For those of you wandering, the Google Pixel works seamlessly with the 3G MicroCell. In the other hand, WiFi Calling on the Pixel is not currently available.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one wandering about this and hope it answers some questions.

Former Employee

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

You are 100% correct about the device needing to be in the AT&T database. The Pixel is in their database already. When they entered in the IMEI from my Pixel at the store, the consultant was surprised that it showed up with the model and information in their systems, considering how new it is. I've seen phones designed only for foreign networks, or running weird custom ROMs, not work at all with the network as a whole. Google is always really good about supporting anything they can, so figure they got the info on the Pixels to AT&T pretty quickly.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@PsyCoe - yep. For those that don't know, IMSI is the International Mobile Subscriber Number. The IMSI is converted into a phone number that is recognized on the AT&T network. The number is a 64-bit number that is converted to a 15 digit number based on MCC, MNC, and MSIN. It is virtually impossible for AT&T, or any other network for that matter to keep track of all of the numbers possible worldwide so they have restrictions on their database and try to keep them as current as possible.

IMEI is the International Mobile Equipment Identity and is basically your AT&T registration number.

The MicroCell requires both numbers. So that's why if a phone is not unlocked properly or intended for a foreign market, the phone may not work with the MicroCell.

All of this is controlled by AT&T IT so sometimes, especially with brand new phones, AT&T doesn't get all of the information quick enough, or updated fast enough to be ahead of the early adopters. And there are some phones that just never get updated so they won't work with the MicroCell.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Imsi is controlled on the sim card.  The phone does not give off a imsi to att.  It's tied to the sim card on GSM umts and LTE.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 - yes. IMSI is on the SIM card for phones that use them. CDMA networks, like Verizon for example embed the IMSI on the phone, or at least they used to. But even if the IMSI is on the SIM card, it may not yet be configured by AT&T IT, in which a call to AT&T may be needed. The IMSI is rarely sent to avoid interception. But if it is, it may be configured as a temporary TMSI code.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

All Verizon's info is now on the sim card. I have 17 phones here 12 being unlocked and they all work with the micro cell I have. One is a one plus 3 and axon 7. They all just work now.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
All Verizon's info is now on the sim card. I have 17 phones here 12 being unlocked and they all work with the micro cell I have. One is a one plus 3 and axon 7. They all just work now.

I didn't know that all of Verizon's IMSI/IMEI info was now on their SIM card so thanks for that. If you're telling me that some of  your phones are not AT&T phone numbers, and they work on the MicroCell, that's news to me and something I need to check into. The MicroCell has always been a "benefit" for AT&T customers who have a post paid AT&T cellular account. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.