What is happening with 3G?
zydecolegs's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 7:29 PM

Does the MicroCell need to be upgraded?

I have an AT&T Microcell that we have been using since 2013.  Am I correct in the understanding that AT&T periodically refreshes the software?  Aside from software, has the microcell been upgraded in any way that would require a hardware upgrade?  I have the white one with a Date Code of 01/13, Model DPH153-AT.

Thank you.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@zydecolegs - AT&T will periodically update the MicroCell if an update is available. This is usually done late at night when AT&T performs maintenance. Most of the time you never know. Sometimes, if the update requires a reboot you may find your MicroCell in the morning with a flashing green 3G light if the unit wasn't able to properly reboot. In a case like that, a power cycle or hard reset usually fixes it.

The most recent model of the MicroCell is the DPH-154, which is black in color. Other than a smaller footprint, the only other major changes are the loss of the Computer Port (too many issues) and the external antenna port. Functional-wise, they are the same. Still 3G only but the radios are a bit better and the unit seems to run slightly cooler. There are no hardware upgrades to the MicroCell other than the new black model.

Your MicroCell is pretty old. I would check the ac adapter just to make sure that it is still delivering adequate power. With the older MicroCells, failing adapters is one of the major causes of issues we see. Check the adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. Easy to do and may save you some headaches later on if you start experiencing issues.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you so much, OttoPylot!  This is the info I needed.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

7 years ago

@zydecolegs - you're welcome.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.