What is happening with 3G?
J

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, July 18th, 2020 3:32 AM

Cell booster/Microcell for ZERO service on Long Island

I'm on the very east end of Long Island, NY, where AT&T service is non-existent. When I search to find how my family can get a free signal booster/microcell to make up for AT&T not providing adequate service, I find they "no longer" sell, much less furnish them complimentarily, to customers. Have I lost my mind or is this just in line with the same terrible AT&T service I was used to?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Jerkstore Sales of the MicroCell by AT&T were discontinued at the end of 2017 because the MicroCell had reached its EOL. They were never free initially but some were handed out free on a case by case basis. The service is still active but will soon be deactivated as well because AT&T is transitioning away from their 3G network (the MicroCell is 3G only). What AT&T and us recommend now is WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phone is capable. Other than that, your other options are to purchase a cellular booster (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line) or switch carriers.

I've moved this post to the MicroCell Forum.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks, Otto. (Of course, no AT&T employee would dare answer - or have the knowledge to.)

Do signal boosters not work for later networks like LTE? You may answer that in your guide, at which I'll take a look. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

You have to a at least have some service for a booster to work.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Jerkstore Yes, most will. And some can work on just about any network, but they are not cheap and do take a bit of installation. The nice thing is that you can use them on most networks so you're not limited to any one network.

AT&T Support for the MicroCell has always been questionable at best.

And yes, you do need at least one to two bars of cellular signal for the cellular booster, but that is covered in my Guide.

(edited)

Explorer

• 

25 Messages

4 years ago

You can buy used ones on eBay around 35 dollars assuming that it is deactivated from a current account you can still activate it on yours and add numbers it takes awhile as the website page is not easy to find and you have to reload multiple times. 
Edit later to say apparently I am not allowed to comment the same thing on post from different people just trying to be helpful

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Anastacia01 You've posted twice so please keep to one post.

Congratulations on purchasing a used MicroCell that was one, deactivated and two, you were able to register/activate it.

Do keep in mind that the MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017 and the service itself will be shut down in about a year from now once AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network.

Enjoy it now because it will soon be a doorstop.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.