alexle942's profile

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Mar 5, 2022 5:37 PM

Cell Booster

Hi there,

I am a bit confused with the requirement of opening ports on the home router. It is my understanding that all outgoing ports are opened by default. All incoming ports are closed by default. Then an internal device initiates a connection on whatever port the session gets opened and response comes on this port. All communications work on the home router without any tweaks. What am I missing?

Thank you,

-Alex

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

The required ports should be open by default in the router but they also need to be open all the way to the AT&T Mobility servers. If AT&T is your provider, then that shouldn't be a problem. If you have an ISP other than AT&T, you need to make sure that they are open on your ISPs side. AT&T can't control that. They should be but there's no guarantee (maintenance, re-routes, failed/failing upstream switch, etc). Technically, it should be plug and play. Nothing for you to do with your router etc.

So what is the issue you are having? See my Tech Guide for lots of info on the Cell Booster. Link is in my sig line.

• 

5 Messages

4分前

Appreciate your fast response! We are on the same page and in total agreement. I tried booster on the Comcast network and it worked just fine. I tried it on the Wave Broadband network and it does not work because very likely that port 4500 is not opened towards the ATT network. It is not a very standard port compare to 123 and 500. I just cannot get to technical people and explain that they have an issue. 

As far as explanation to booster users related to ports - it is confusing to people. They should not open incoming ports. It has to be clarified.

Thank you so much!!

-Alex

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

If WAVE is wireless broadband then AT&T doesn't support that type of connection. Read my Tech Guide as to how AT&T's femtocells work. If WAVE is wireless broadband you'll have to work it out with them. I can guarantee you that they probably haven't a clue as to what or how a femtocell works and will just tell you to contact AT&T because the problem is on their end.

I too have Comcast and have zero issues with the Cell Booster. Port 4500, at least with the MicroCell was usually the port that created connection issues but most land-based ISPs leave that port open.

wolfox

Tutor

• 

118 Messages

4分前

Wave Broadband appears on initial research to be a cable based ISP.

That said, most terrestrial, land line based ISP's don't block many ports except for the ones that are easily exploitable. I.E. NetBIOS, NFS, NTP, SMNP, etc. but only inbound, unsolicited.

Give your ISP operators a jingle. Ask if port 4500 UDP/TCP is open and free to use as outlined in Otto Pylot's post and his *fantastic* Cell Booster tech guide. In *most* circumstances, after you've registered your Cell Booster and received confirmation of that registration, activation is as easy as plugging it in and just waiting for it. It can take a while, but it will get there. You should receive an AT&T text and/or Email after activation is complete and it's ready for use, all 5 lights illuminated solid white.

Definitely give Ott's guide a read on the diagnostic and interpretation of the Booster's lights. It's possible during activation for it to hang on one step or another for what seems like a long time. Mine initially booted, rebooted, rebooted again with various flashing white or orange lights. But left alone, within an hour it brought itself together and has been rock solid for more than two weeks, going into week 3 as I type.

Hot Tip: The GPS antenna connector is really stiff and very daunting as it seems like you'll break it. But you must securely install the antenna pigtail into the port on the upper-left backside of the Booster. It's installed correctly with a straight in, firm push until you feel and hear it CLICK into place. No click, no connection - the Booster will endlessly Boot-n-reboot if it cannot GPS lock w/solid white indicator light for GPS.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

Astound Broadband is now WAVE Broadband and is the 10th largest cable operator in the U.S., so that answers my question about the type of internet service. Now if @alexle942 can give us a little more detail on how he setup his CB we might be able to offer better suggestions or help.

Thanks @wolfox for the kudos on my Tech Guide. Update 3.2 is being worked on as we speak, as well as a rather terse email to AT&T.

wolfox

Tutor

• 

118 Messages

4分前

Otto like me may be a little shaken on the whole "Open Access" issue.

My internal, initial testing shows all traffic is routed via VPN, therefore invisible to ISP metering tools. It escapes my ability to count too on the router once the VPN is tunneled through and hot.

Just yet another FYI point along the way but only based on anecdotal observation.

@alexle942 If you have had any number of the legacy 3G MCell devices activated at your current location? It is still just a plug and play experience. It's the VPN traffic port that's really the only difference between the two different devices; but inconsequential in *most* use instances.

In my experience: Flawless performance was guaranteed by...

If your router/gateway supports "Sticky" DHCP IP assignments, give the MAC address of your Cell Booster a permanent address.

After that is confirmed with router reboot and the "Sticky" address locks to the Cell Booster MAC address, I then send the Booster's IP into the router's DMZ. It has naked, full spectrum network exposure without filters, firewall rules, etc.

I set the old 3G Mcell the same exact way and it's never failed to work very well.

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

4分前

Appreciate the discussion, guys. Yes, agree, plug-and-play experience happened when I decided to test this booster in another location on Comcast network. Worked just fine. I simply cannot get through the front-end customer service of the Astound/Wave. They offer either modem reset or technician onsite. When I try to explain the issue they terminate the call saying "if you do not want to troubleshoot we are done". I will keep trying. Appreciate the suggestions   :-)

wolfox

Tutor

• 

118 Messages

4分前

@alexle942 I feel your pain. I just fought (and just recently won) against my cable ISP but it took patience, time, documentation until I caught the eyes of a head office big brain fellow with the entire engineering team behind him. 

He brought the fire and the solution to the local team and heaped coals on heads until it was resolved. Mischief managed. 

If wherever possible, try my simplified instructions to make sure you have a clear shot of the booster activating properly. Unfortunately the booster is a monolithic slab of plastic. You can't just telnet or point your browser at it and login and perform a connection/port scan like...an Ooma Telo box.

If the simplified router/firewall trick doesn't work then my next advice point still stands from above. Find a CSR that can either give you a URL that explains any port restrictions or could simply answer the question: 

"Is my port 4500 available for use/ blocked?"

Best of luck. (Understand my simplified firewall/ router suggestions are very generic. It's simply impossible to give step by step instructions to succeed with so many permutations of Home/purchased/ISP supplied equipment there is. :/

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

@alexle942 Don't expect any help from WAVE. They may be able to tell you if the three required ports are open but that's about it. And by open I mean on their network, not your router. AT&T may be able to run a check from their end thru the WAVE connection, but if something is blocked, they can't fix it. That's WAVE's problem.

You can always try to port forward/trigger to a statically assigned IP address based on the MAC address of the Cell Booster but that shouldn't be necessary. There are online port checkers but I've found them to be unreliable. Can't hurt though. And if they do indicate 4500 is closed at least you can take that to WAVE. 

Have you power cycled the gateway (I'm assuming it's a gateway) from WAVE. What does the light pattern look like on the CB?

• 

5 Messages

4分前

UPDATE. This is what I did. I took booster to another place and connected to Comcast network through my home router. It came up nicely with no problems and I got an automated email that booster is active. In a few days I took it back and connected again to the Wave Broadband network, but not through the router (at first), but directly to the modem and it came up with no problems which means that ports are opened on the Wave network. After that I reconnected it back to the router and it worked again. I do not have technical explanation of why it did not work before. Maybe initial registration did not work at the very beginning. Not sure...

Thank you for the discussion, guys!

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

@alexle942 Just make sure that only one of your routers is taking on the router duties (DHCP etc) and the other one is just an AP. A double NAT will cause issues down the road.

• 

5 Messages

4分前

Thank you! I do not have an AP. I have just a single router which is my DHCP source.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

4分前

@alexle942 Sorry about that. For some reason I thought you had two routers so I'm probably confusing you with someone else. It can be difficult at times keeping the number of folks that I'm helping straight. If you have any issues, post back. I'm usually here, or check the Guide.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.