For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
J

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, January 19th, 2022 4:30 PM

Cell booster and Cell Booster Pro

Are the new Cell Boosters going to be available before February 2022, before you cut service to the MicroCells? FYI: I can NOT use WiFi calling feature due to my main internet is Satellite and my Frontier internet is only fast enough to serve the MicroCell.  

The new Cell Booster look just like TMobile's CellSpot, are they the same equipment?

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

GLIMMERMAN, Just waiting on my kit!!!

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

OttoPylot,  My Frontier speed is only 1.5-2 download, 1.3 upload.  I have ViaSat satellite internet.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

2 years ago

@JBurcham 

phone calls on WiFi calling only use less the 500kbps just a fyi.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@JBurcham Those speeds are barely adequate for the current MicroCell and will not meet the specs of the yet-to-be-released new MC/CB. ViaSat is not reliable for the current MicroCell, and not supported by AT&T at all. And if the new CB has the same connection requirements as the MC, then it will not be supported either, so if you have connectivity issues, that will be between you and ViaSat. 

As mentioned, WiFi-C requires very little speed but to use WiFi-C on AT&T's network, it needs 2 of the same 4 ports that the MicroCell uses and if those ports are blocked by ViaSat, or there is too much lag, then you could encounter call quality issues. Frontier would be your best bet for WiFi-C but with so little speed, you could have excess jitter on your line which would affect call quality as well.

Starlink is still a satellite-based system and it is unknown at this point in time if their connection protocols will support WiFi-C or a femtocell. I doubt if AT&T has tested the new CB with Starlink so it would fall into the same category as ViaSat, untested and non-supported. At least initially.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

2 years ago

@OttoPylot

Thanks for the tech info.  I recall the basics, but not the actual numbers.  Always glad I can call on the expert. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas 

Thanks. I do have a list of questions that I need answered by AT&T before I can accurately update my Tech Guide because even tho @ATTHelp seems ready to help folks, my guess is that eventually CB support will go the way that the MC support did and my Guide will still be needed to augment the support that will go beyond the script that AT&T has to read from.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.