What is happening with 3G?
rocdude's profile

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Mar 15, 2022 2:45 AM

AT&T Cell Booster will not send or receive pictures or group text

Just switch over from my microcell to AT&T Cell Booster. I can receive and send calls, I can get and send single people text but I can not get or send photos or group text. Any ideas of what the issue is? 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

3 m ago

@rocdude Do you have WiFi enabled? We have no issues with the Cell Booster that I am testing when it comes to calls, texts, SMS/MMS, photos, vids, etc. Even to our Android friends. What kind of phone do you have?

• 

4 Messages

3 m ago

Having WiFi enabled seem to have no effect on the issue. I have a Samsung s7 and my wife have a Samsung s10. When we had the microcell the group text worked and we could send & receive pictures without the Wifi enabled.  

• 

4 Messages

3 m ago

Put both of our Samsung phones in airplane mode and turned on WiFi calling and they both could send text to groups and send pictures. So working as normal. This means that the issue is with the AT&T Cell Booster and not somewhere else in the Chain.  

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

3 m ago

@rocdude Turning on Airplane Mode disables the cellular radio in the phone so the only connection you can do is over WiFi.

Are your phones set to use LTE? Some phones need to be set to that because that is what the Cell Booster transmits and some phones need to the "told" that is the signal to use. Otherwise, the phones keep looking for a signal to lock onto which results in issues. Some phones can handle that better than others.

You can disable WiFi (and WiFi-C), turn your phone completely off, wait a few seconds, and then turn the phone back on. Do that in the same room as the Cell Booster. It could be that your phones just need to register that the Cell Booster is part of its cellular neighborhood. If your phone connects, you should see the LTE light flash white on the Cell Booster and the phone register LTE as the connection. You can then turn WiFi back on but leave WiFi-C disabled. You also might want to make sure that your phones are on the current OS and Carrier Settings.

The Cell Booster is a femtocell, just like the MicroCell, and uses the some of the same ports that the MicroCell used so if you received a message from AT&T saying that Cell Booster was registered, activated, and ready to go, then there really is nothing else to do. You can try to Reset the Cell Booster but my guess is that is has more to do with the phones than the Cell Booster.

All of the service areas have been upgraded so it's not that. You might also want to move the Cell Booster to see if there is a sweet spot in your home that makes for a more reliable connection. What I've seen in my testing is that the LTE signal, at least from the Cell Booster, is more sensitive to location than the MicroCell was. Disable the Cell Booster and see what kind of signal you are getting in your home. In my home, it's 5Ge. So, when my phone displays LTE (with WiFi off) I know I'm connected to the Cell Booster and not the closest tower to me. The reason to turn off WiFi is that on iPhones at least, the WiFi signal strength covers up the cellular indicator so the only easy way to know what cellular signal your phone is connected to is to disable WiFi to see what the signal is.

Read my Tech Guide, link is in my sig line. There's a link for Android phones and how to check for cellular strength, etc.

• 

4 Messages

3 m ago

Ottopylot, thanks for the response. To reinstate our phones work with the AT&T Cell Boost for calls and non multimedia, non group text. But will not do group text or multimedia text. 

• I believe our phone are setup to do LTE is shows up on the Phone when they are connected to the Cell Boost. 
  • When turning the phones off then back on, the Cell Boost LTE light blinks. 
  • When sending multimedia or Group text the Cell boost LTE light blinks for several minutes until I guess it times out. On the phone the text just spends and never sends. 
  • When receiving group text or multimedia on our phones it show up as a downloadable file but when you click the file it just spins and never downloads.  
  • Have reboot the Cell Boost several times
  • Even when the phone are in the same room as the Cell boost it will not do group text or any multimedia. 
  • I live in a deep canyon and cell signals are non existent. Cell service has to come from the internet via Wifi or microcell/cell booster

The issue of not getting group text or multimedia text is isolated to the cell booster and the way it is handling these text vs the way it handles regular text and phone calls which are working fine. 

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

3 m ago

Who is your ISP? You should be able to use WiFi-C and not be dependent on the Cell Booster for voice. If the MicroCell worked fine with your phones (and there hasn't been any updates to your phones between the MicroCell and Cell Booster) then I'm thinking it has to be something to do with the phones and how they are handling SMS/MMS. Not a good answer I know but I'd have to think on this more. The Cell Booster is certainly not for everyone, and I will probably put mine back on the shelf once I'm done testing it and go back to WiFi-C, which works perfectly well on our iPhones with no call or messaging issues at all (even to and from our Android friends).

wolfox

Tutor

• 

118 Messages

3 m ago

In another post, I mentioned issues I had with Samsung devices and SMS/MMS/RCS especially in group chat situations and problems.

The long and short of it is that by replacing built in versions of Samsung and AT&T messages apps on Samsung platforms with plain old Google Messages made everything Skittles and beer again.

How I fixed SMS/Group text & sync issues on my Samsung devices using the new Cell Booster

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.