What is happening with 3G?
B

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, January 6th, 2021 3:42 PM

activate and deactivate a microcell mini tower

ATT deactivated my microcell for lack of use. It is now in the hands of a new owner. The ATT phone rep claimed all the new owner needs to do is go to the ATT store for a new SIM card and they can re-activate. Does that sound right to you?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

3 years ago

Basically the original owner needs to deactivate the MicroCell, not AT&T. If AT&T did send you an email indicating that they had deactivated the MicroCell from your account due to inactivity then one has to assume that AT&T did deactivate the MicroCell and removed its serial number from your cellular account.

The requirements are simple. A post paid AT&T cellular account in good standing and a land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber). As well as cell phone intended for the U.S domestic market. A new SIM card is not needed if those three requirements are met. What kind of phone does the new owner have and do they have a post paid AT&T cellular account?

Most of the CS agents haven't a clue as to how the MicroCell works or what is required for registration/activation. The MicroCell was discontinued at the end of 2017 and the service itself will be shut down sometime late this year. AT&T is not allocating resources to the MicroCell anymore with regards to sales, adequate support, proper Support training, and fixing the broken myAT&T MicroCell Settings page.

I would not waste anymore time on the MicroCell. If the new owner has poor in-home coverage, then WiFi-C, purchase a cellular booster, or switch carriers are the only viable options available.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

3 years ago

No. If the new owner's cell phone works as it should on AT&T's network then the SIM card has nothing to do with the MicroCell as long as the owner has a post paid AT&T cellular account.

If AT&T did in fact deactivate your MicroCell, then all the new owner needs to do, in theory at least, is log into their myAT&T MicroCell Settings page and register/activate the MicroCell. However, the MicroCell Settings page hasn't work correctly for almost a year now because AT&T will be shutting down the MicroCell service no later than Feb. of next year, if not sooner. The MicroCell is bascially a bookend now. WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) is what AT&T and us recommend now.

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for your quick reply. Here's what the new owner is saying, "It would entail either calling AT&T and deactivating the device from your account or logging in online and manually deactivating it. When we try to activate it on our account it says there is an error activating." I called ATT today (Jan 6, 2021) and the rep said it is deactivated and all they have to do is get a new sim card and activate the microcell. Though it's no longer mine, like you, I want to help people and I'm trying to help them get this working. What do you suggest? TIA

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

2nd ATT rep confirmed deactivation from my account was complete. Hopefully the new owner got it working, albeit short-lived based on your knowledge. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

3 years ago

The myAT&T MicroCell Settings page, which is needed to setup the MicroCell is broken, so customer side access is very difficult if not impossible. AT&T is still able, at times, to access the page internally to hopefully help a customer setup the MicroCell but if the customer needs to get to the Setting page themselves, chances are they won't be able to. And AT&T has no plans, or incentive, to fix the page on a product they no longer sell and will cease to function by the end of the year. Support is pretty much useless.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.