20th Community Anniversary
Crowd Pleaser 3
Citizenship 1

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

Thursday, October 8th, 2015 6:27 PM

WiFi Calling

WiFi Calling is now available for certain iPhone models!

What is WiFi calling? This feature allows you to talk and text over the Internet through an existing Wi-Fi network when cellular coverage is limited or unavailable. To use Wi-Fi calling, you'll need a compatible AT&T device, a postpaid AT&T wireless account that's been provisioned for HD Voice, and a Wi-Fi Internet connection.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Hello,

I have a Samsung Note 5 and I am trying to enable Wi-fi calling on it. Everytime I try and update the address on the setting's screen, it tells me that the address isnt valid and it doesnt exist in the 911 database. It is a new property that came up about 8 months ago and the address exists in the USPS database. How do i get around to getting my wi-fi calling activated?

Thank you.

KJ

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

6 years ago

If this a brand new property the address may be in the USPS database but not in the E911 database which is an FCC requirement. If you can find out what your local Emergency Services have for your adddress (GPS coordinates), ATT may be able to use that. The ATT database is only as good as the information it gets and there is no telling how often the database is updated.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

I have problems with wifi calling due, I believe, the new ac gateway (5268) just installed by ATT. I have band steering turned on (same SSID for both bands). It seems that when a call is in progress via wifi calling, and the phone (Galaxy S7) switches from the 5Ghz band to the 2.4Ghz or vice versa, the call is dropped. I've turned off smart network switching and also tried this in airplane mode so any calls go out via wifi calling. My alternatives are:

1. Turn off wifi calling - this works - but see number 2 next.

2. Split the bands so there is no band steering - I believe this would work, but in my large house, the 5Ghz signal is not strong upstairs so it's nice to have the fallback to the 2.4. In addition, cell reception is poor in some areas, so it's nice to have wifi calling assuming the wifi signal is adequate.

It would seem to me that wifi calling should be able to handle band steering by now. It's been around for some time. Am I missing something here?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

@marv44 - if you do band switching that could be analogous to handing off, which some phones just handle better than others. Handing off (as it pertains to cellular calling) is briefly covered in my Tech Guide. There really isn't much AT&T can do about the quality of your WiFi connection or how your phone handles the hand off from one band to another.

Our house and property is fairly large and we use WiFi-C with no issues at all, inside or outside because I setup a mesh WiFi system. The main unit (router) is downstairs and the satellite is upstairs at the other end of the house. All of our phones connect on the 5GHz channel. We've never experienced dropped calls or a decrease in call quality as we move thru the house and property.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

Can you please tell me which mesh system you use?

Are the mesh units acting as APs or as routers? Do they need a wired
connection back to the gateway? My gateway is the Pace (Arris) 5268ac and
the several walls it has to penetrate take a big toll on the back bedrooms
and the dining area which are on the other side of our house.

If the mesh units (or at least one) require a hard line connection, would a
power line Ethernet adapter work?

Thanks!
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

19.7K Messages

5 years ago

@marv44 - I use the Orbi system which is Netgear. Eero, Velop, and Google also offer mesh routers. They are all basically the same.

The Orbi AC3000 is around $300 and covers about 5000 sq. ft. We have a 3500 sq. ft, two story home on about a 1/2 acre and have not had any connection issues whatsoever. The router comes with a main unit (which connects to your modem like any other router) and then a satellite unit that you can place anywhere else. The main unit has 4 additional enet ports and so does the satellite unit. The satellite unit uses a separate back channel to communicate with the main unit which is separate from your data channels. You can either hardwire it or let it use one of the WiFi radios. I haven't  hardwired mine yet but it works just fine. Setup is really easy as it is pretty much self-configuring. Speeds are really fast and it is very stable. I've only had one brief connection loss which lasted only for about 2 minutes.

I've never been a fan of power line adapters because they are only as good as your interior wiring so you just never know. I would look into the specifics of Orbi, Velop, Eero, etc and see which one will suit your needs. I'm very happy with the Orbi and I have friend who is very happy with his Velop.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.