Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
The new iPhone 14
ms_unicorn's profile
ms_unicorn
Crowd Pleaser 3
Citizenship 1
Crowd Pleaser 2

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

Thu, Oct 8, 2015 6:27 PM

WiFi Calling

WiFi Calling is now available for certain iPhone models!

What is WiFi calling? This feature allows you to talk and text over the Internet through an existing Wi-Fi network when cellular coverage is limited or unavailable. To use Wi-Fi calling, you'll need a compatible AT&T device, a postpaid AT&T wireless account that's been provisioned for HD Voice, and a Wi-Fi Internet connection.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ms_unicorn

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

7年前

For more information about WiFi calling or to determine whether your device is compatible, click on the link below.

WiFi Calling

About WiFi Calling

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

Wifi calling cannot be activated on anr plans. What's the solution for this

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

hi i have a new phone prepaid but mi sim card is not the small one can i change to the little one with support o i have go to a store

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7年前

Wifi calling will not work if you have smart limits one or the other !

so now att.will be out 4.99 per line. what's wrong in this picture.....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7年前

I have a MicroCell in my home to boost my cell signal. Now that WiFi assist is available, do I still need the MicroCell? Should I continue to use it or rely on WiFi calling?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7年前

I say as long as your connected to wifi. shut down micro cell unit and you will soon find out!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

When will it be available for Android phones?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7年前

I've been trying to activate wifi calling, but keep getting an error that the person in charge of the account needs to call ATT. When I called them they said it's because I don't have HD Voice on my account and they were unable to add it to my account (even said that several managers attempted to do it).

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

7年前

Is your phone WiFi capable? Currently it's only available on iPhone 6's and above, but that should change soon.

Avedis53

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7年前

Does this mean that the caller and callee both need to have WiFi-C capable phones or just the caller?  I can call my wife's iPhone 6 with my iPhone 6 with both of our phones having WiFi-C turned on and it sounds great.  I try to call my son on his AT&T iPhone 4s while I'm on WiFi-C using my iPhone 6 and he said my outbound voice isn't received and I found his voice is severely garbled.  Same thing when I call him with my wife's iPhone 6.  This was repeatable.

Thoughts?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

7年前

It could be that WiFi calling is like HD Voice (VoLTE). Both phones have to have the same capability, and calling a phone on another carrier or a landline won't work. There are just too many un-answered questions at this point in time to know for sure. It's going to take time to sort it all out and for AT&T to work the kinks out.

nategold

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

7年前

I have had nothing but good luck with wifi calling.

ronsou

Mentor

• 

24 Messages

7年前

Good question - I am also wondering.

I unplugged my Microcell.  Most of the time, my IPhone just shows AT&T and 2 bars.  Occassionally it does change to AT&T WiFi.   I never see One bar - so that must be about the time it thinks its better to use WiFi.

However, I got the Microcell in the first place because at my home, even when the icon showed two bars, I would miss or drop calls.   With the Microcell, I always had 4 to 5 bars, and no missed or dropped calls.

So given I am seeing it NOT use WiFi calling in most cases, I am inclined to keep using the Microcell.   I will test further to see.  If I hadn't already bought it, maybe WiFi calling would keep me from doing so.  But given I already own it , there seems little reason not to.

I'd like to see it more inclined to use WiFi calling - like if just 3 bars or less.  Or make it configurable.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7年前

I'm in the same situation. Spotty service at my place so wifi calling isn't consistent. My microcell is also pretty inconsistent as in my phone losses connection to it a few times a week. It would be nice if there was a setting to always use wifi calling when connected to a known secure network.

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.9K Messages

7年前

Some have suggested putting in your phone in Airplane Mode when at home. That way it won't connect to the MicroCell's 3G signal and will look for a WiFi network.

Need help?
The new iPhone 14
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.