For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
T

• 

4 Messages

Monday, August 9th, 2021 8:30 AM

Why is AT&T not responsible for the value of my trade in phone??

I switched from sprint to Att 4 months ago. I had 2 fully paid for I phone XR, that I traded In On a promo that was supposed to reduce the cost of the I phone 12’s by $700 each. I canceled one of the lines fully knowing that I would have to pay full price for the phone that was associated with the line I’m canceling. I’m fine with that. What I’m not fine with is the fact that I’m not receiving any credit, or payment for the almost new I phone XR that AT&T took as the trade in. If I have to pay full price fir the 12, then ATT SHOULD EITHER RETURN MY PHONE OR GICE ME FACE VALUE FOR IT.!! All customer service says is theirs nothing they can do. That is theft. I can and am filing a claim in small claims court for the value of the I phone XR.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

3 years ago

I canceled one of the lines fully knowing that I would have to pay full price for the phone that was associated with the line I’m canceling.

if you cancel the line you void the requirements of the promotion. The line must remain active for the duration of the next agreement which is probably 30 months. Which you claim you knew you would have to pay full price. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

And AT&T doesn't have your phone.  It went to a 3rd party recycler.

Go to att.com, read the promotional terms. 

These deals are to keep you for the 36 months to profit off service.   

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Okay, your not understanding. I have no problem paying the full price for the I phone 12.  I ended the contract. That does not mean that ATT just gets to keep the I phone XR.  For them to resell. So now they are getting paid for the 12 and the XR. Third party or not, the guy had an ATT shirt on in an ATT car, so they were clearly representing ATT. I’m paying full price for the 12, they can either return my property or pay me what it’s worth. Att didn’t buy the XR, I did!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

Yes, we do understand completely. 

We also understand that every agreement has two parts and you didn't keep your part up. Because you canceled after 4 months you're not entitled to any further credits.  Next time read the deal and understand what happens if you cancel service. 

AT&T doesn't have it.   When you turned it over, part of that agreement is you don't get the phone back. You signed an agreement to that effect. You also signed an agreement to get credits for as long as you had service, and if you cancelled service you would have to pay off the iPhone 12, and no more credits would be forthcoming from AT&T. 

You may have initiated the deal with an AT&T person, but they don't keep the phone. The phone is sent directly to a third-party recycler called HYLA.  

It has absolutely nothing to do with the phone anymore and absolutely everything to do with you not fulfilling your end of the deal. In order to get all of the credits you had to stay with At&t for the full term of the installments and you didn't

You can fuss all you want but this is how the trade-in deal works. You can take this to arbitration (or small claims) and you will lose because all the documentation that AT&T has proves that you signed and agreed to this deal and they kept up their end to the letter, but you did not keep up yours.  

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

obviously you do not understand. I'm not asking for credits. Im not saying that i didnt break the contract and i am fully prepared to pay the full price for the phone that ATT gave me. That has nothing to do with I-phone XR that I paid for in full through sprint, that ATT took. the contract is null and void, Im paying for the new phone in full retail. Thats my penalty for breaking the contract. That does not give ATT the right to keep the value of my old phone for free.

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

PS your not half as smart as you think you are. 

Former Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

3 years ago

What do you not understand? In order to get the credits the line has to remain active for the duration of the next installment agreement. If you do not fulfill that agreement you forfeit any additional credit, monthly or otherwise. You gave them the phone with the agreement to keep the line active for 30 months and in exchange they would issue you credits for the trade in. You broke the agreement, therefore voiding the promotion.  That give AT&T every right to not provide further credit. Read the terms of the promotion you signed. It is in black and white. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

3 years ago

Oh for gosh sakes, I posted the portion that applies to the situation. It's in black and white. The only way for you to get the value of the phone you traded in back was to stay with AT&T and pay your installments for the full 30 or 36 months.  You didn't.  So you don't. 

Read the entire deal.  

And if you don't believe us,  go pay a lawyer $300 and ask him to read the deal and tell you if you have a leg to stand on.

https://www.att.com/buy/legal/16700011

Key points ⬇️

Activate/keep postpaid unlimited wireless service (min. $75/mo. for new unlimited customers before discounts).

• If you cancel wireless service, your credits will end and you’ll owe the remaining balance on the installment agreement for the device purchased.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.