Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Wed, Dec 3, 2014 7:48 PM

Why does my phone think i'm in another city?

When ever I search for near by places I am directed to Chicago. Can I fix this. I have an iPhone 5s.

Responses

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Go to setting/general/handoff and turn off HANDOFF. If one person kept the iPad or iPhone/ I'm sure you get my meaning? If it's on, and your devices were once used together this could be the problem. When emailing or messaging from one device, it will send this to all devices that you've enabled/connected with your Apple ID.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

It is the closest MAIN cell tower to you. I am in ND and mine says Chicago which is the main AT&T Tower. That's all I've been able to figure out. Turn on maps and I can say it will register your location. Set your favorite store and websites to your location and you'll see the Chicago location go away.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

3 years ago

@Justme11   Actually, that makes sense.  

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

3 years ago

When I am in Florida and using my phone as a hotspot, the IP address is in Georgia. I've received warnings from Google that someone is trying to access my Google accounts from Georgia and actually has my password.....well the explanation for that is it was me.

I'm not a techie, but here is my theory. Cell towers are connected to landlines (fiber) and while the cell may be a short distance away, the landline ultimately terminates at a server in Georgia, using the Georgia IP address. @GLIMMERMAN76, you are pretty up on this stuff. Does that sound reasonable or am I smoking crack?

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19K Messages

3 years ago

it depends on where the ip address the phone has was registered with ICANN.  

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19K Messages

3 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

it depends on where the ip address the phone has was registered with ICANN.  

@Busternutt

dns servers are pain in the rear....  My home ip addy will say im in IOWA sometimes because of ICANN.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Because that is where your server is.... Means your location is either off or gps is not picking it up.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Same issue here, exept my iPhone 6s thinks I live in Atlanta.  I live in Memphis.  To my knowledge, my phone has never even been to Atlanta.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

You are calling this a Solution?  You don't think we have tried that?  You are nuts!  This is no solution at all. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Settings

General

Reset

Reset privacy & location

Then try "whatever" near me

Follow Google prompts

Allow location

Etc etc...