Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Jun 22, 2019 6:22 PM

What happens when you don't finish paying off a phone?

I have a phone & I'm not sure if it's paid off yet or what. Someone help 

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46K Messages

2 years ago

Help with what, exactly? If it’s not paid off, perhaps nothing will happen. It won’t be unlocked if not paid off. If you have phone payments on your bill and don’t pay them, your service will eventually be suspended.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

So the phone will not lock up?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46K Messages

2 years ago

So the phone will not lock up?

As in get blacklisted? Probably not but that may depend on how much is owed. ATT can and has blacklisted phones not paid off.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Soo the phone will still be useable?

dwill05

Master

• 

4.8K Messages

2 years ago

Let’s cut to the chase.  Are you not the original owner, and are worried if the phone you got from someone might not be paid off and stop working?  As @sandblaster said, AT&T may blacklist a phone if someone skipped out on paying for it.  Or they may not.  If it’s blacklisted, it won’t work on any US network and won’t be unlocked for use on any network.  If the phone isn’t blacklisted, but money is owed, it will still work only on AT&T, but it won’t be unlocked for use on other networks.

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

If I were to buy a phone that does like 25$ a month, and if I don't pay one month of it. What would happen?

Also what would happen if you don't pay off the phone

dwill05

Master

• 

4.8K Messages

6 months ago

It will probably take a few months of non-payment before they cancelled your account.  At that point, they may decide to blacklist the phone so it won’t work on any network.  As long as there is any payment remaining, the phone won’t be unlocked for use on other networks.  Also non-payment will have an impact on your credit.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46K Messages

6 months ago

@Joe_good The phone payment is part of the overall bill. If the entire bill is not paid, first service is suspended and then ultimately cancelled. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 months ago

So I have a question similar to this... I got an iPhone Xs for my daughter that I got with an add a line get a free Xs promotion. Everything was fine for a few months (charge me $30 for the phone and credit the $30 for the phone each month) then it all changed.. I have been on the phone with them 2 months now, and every month its the same problem, sorry we will credit it, etc, its never fixed. 

I am done with them on it and just want to drop that phone/line.  

Can I take the phone back to AT&T and turn it in and cancel that line/phone payment, etc? 

dwill05

Master

• 

4.8K Messages

3 months ago

@smeltn  The return period was 14 days.  Past that, it’s yours and they won’t take it back.  Also, the terms of the free promotion was that you keep paying for the phone/ line for the entire term.  If you cancel the line, you’ll have to pay the full price of the phone.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 months ago

@dwill05 I have been paying for the phone AND the line. I am unhappy with the customer service and the fact they CONTINUE to screw my bill up each month

dwill05

Master

• 

4.8K Messages

3 months ago

I get that, but you asked if you can take the phone back to AT&T (no, you’re long past the 14 days) and cancel the line or payment (if you do, you’ll lose all of the promotional credits and be required to pay for the phone in full).  I understand they you are unhappy with them, but those are the answers to those questions that you asked.  You’ll have to deal with them, and go through their conflict resolution process because it’s likely that all you’ll get is more promises to fix the issue.  They aren’t likely to take the phone back or let you off the hook of fulfilling the promotion.

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Help !!!

the guy that sold me the phone said the phone was half of and that I only needed to pay 300 but on the receipt that I just received with my phone says that I gave a down payment . The guy said the phone was half off and he did not say it was the down payment . I don’t know what to do ,I thought I already paid for the whole phone. 
please help , I’m about to cry

(edited)

Get started...

Ask a new question