Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Willaguna

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Sep 26, 2017 11:31 PM

Visual Voicemail Issues in iOS 11

The "visual" part of Visual Voicemail is no longer functioning. I get a screen with a text box "Call Voicemail" which calls and requires me to enter my password. How do I get this function working properly?

Responses

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Yes, att couldnt help friend with 7, after 2 days of interaction with att.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

good idea. vote with your feet if apple keeps screwing up. too bad though

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

I think you're on to something. comments suggest part of problem is carrier settings. ATT aka SWB notorious

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

is your fix still working? found several 'fixes' didn't last more than a few hours. Suspect something wrong with carrier

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

So far so good on my "fix" - visual voicemail has stayed, and I haven't had random complete connectivity fail to my account since vvm came back. I don't like the mystery nature of it all. Maybe it's just a combo plate of something buggy at AT&T coupled with something buggy at Apple. I took the 11.0.3 update but the "fix" didn't happen right after that. I rebooted after the update hoping it would heal and nothing happened at that point.

Willaguna

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Has been working without a hitch. Not sure why it started working!!

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

None of the suggested fixes worked. Still no transcription on any of my voicemails, even ones that were there before I updated. Beyon frustrated 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Per conversation w tier 2 carrier support, credible person,One factor involves quality of network connection, particularly a sometimes elusive update specific to the carrier in addition to the operating system update. From reading the information available it sounds like this adds another variable which confuses the solutions. Apparently the carrier keeps The record of voicemails so that updating the carrier specific requirements compatible with the iOS update is necessary to be able to retrieve from the carriers computer the voicemails that the cellphone device has lost. Theoretically The phone is supposed to alert you to update the carrier settings when you update the OS but it isn't always happening as it should. It's as if the full moon and the obelisk have to be aligned for everything to work, not just one thing. More and more it looks like the carriers and Apple are not dancing to the same synchronized tune making the problem difficult to pin down.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

For what it's worth, I've been having the same issue as all of you with my iPhone 8 (latest iOS), and have tried all of these solutions. Unless I missed it, something that may be worth mentioning is as followings.

I purchased my new iPhone 8 two weeks ago and did a restore from iCloud from my iPhone 6S backup. Visual Voicemail worked perfectly fine for about 1 week. On Wednesday, 10/25, I received a notification on my phone saying "Carrier Settings Updated". That very afternoon, I noticed the problem. I also noticed that the day before I had listened to a voicemail and called someone back based on my call history, so I know VVM was working prior to this "Carrier Update". I don't know if this is just a coincidence, but this does seem to be something worth looking at. I also haven't seen examples of this issue on other carriers... so is it isolated to AT&T?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Reading online suggestions the problem seems to be due to a mismatch between Apple software and Carrier are software. One person said that his carrier fix the problem by resetting his carrier settings. He didn't have ATT. It smells like the carriers and Apple are not talking well enough together, both figuratively and Electronically.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, I also had issue with visual voice mail. I am using AT&T. It was worked fine last week and everythng goes wrong after update. I called the customer care and no one could help me. I tried everything reset, sending voice mail to my own number etc. Everything got failed.

Finally I got a trick with Siri. 

• Settings
  • Siri & Search
  • Enable "Press home for siri"

Then I do a soft reset and everything got worked.

Thanks for techiestech for this awesome hack.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

3 years ago

Did that too.  Didn't work.  Nothing has worked. Even after getting the carrier settings update after 11.0.3.  I've about given up on getting the transcription back. I liked it too but neither AT&T or Apple will take the blame for it and neither seem to want to work together to get it working for us. 

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

sounds like you're accurately describing the root of the problem.
Transcription feature not worth the agony. Maybe 11.1 will get closer.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Same thing happened with me. I tried everything and couldn't get it to save or reset using the phone. I went to the AT&T website and followed all the steps to have them reset my password. They sent a link to my phone. I was able to get my email. However, visual email is gone... seems like there isn't a fix for that yet.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hi,

I was helping my mom who had the same problem.  None of your solutions worked.  However, I solved the problem for her.  I poked around the settings and discovered that her Cellular Data in Settings had been turned to Off.  She swears she didn't touch it so I'm not sure why this happened.  Anyway, I turned the Cellular Data to On and her Visual Voicemail suddenly appeared.

Get started...

Ask a new question