For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.
Using your Apple Watch as a Cellular Phone
NumberSync for Apple Watch (Cellular) will automatically connect your watch to the AT&T domestic network when Wi-Fi is not available or your iPhone is not within Bluetooth range. The Apple Watch has an AT&T telephone number and associated rate plan and will appear on your monthly bill. Note, the watch telephone number cannot be used for voice, data or text messaging from the watch. Please remember to complete NumberSync set-up to use your watch on the AT&T cellular network with your iPhone number. With NumberSync active, calls and messages using your watch will display your AT&T iPhone telephone number.
What you need to get started:
- An Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular.
- An iPhone (6 or later including SE) that has been set up for AT&T HD Voice.
- iPhone running iOS version 11.0 or higher.
- iPhone and Apple Watch are on the same postpaid billing account.
- AT&T User ID (AccessID) associated with the iPhone.
The Apple Watch (Cellular) can access data in 3 ways.
- Bluetooth: The Apple Watch connects to the iPhone, and the iPhone does all the work, but it shows up on the Apple Watch.
- Wi-Fi: The Apple Watch makes and receives calls, sends messages, and used data over the Wi-Fi network. The Apple Watch connects to the hotspots that the iPhone has previously connected to, and remembered.
- Cellular: The Watch connects to the AT&T cellular network for voice and data services.
- If you would like to ensure you'll receive SMS/MM messages and iMessages on your watch, you'll need to ensure the following have been set up on your iPhone:
- iMessage is enabled.
- NumberSync is enabled.
- For SMS/MMS, your iPhone will need to be powered on and have a connection to the AT&T Cellular Network, or via Wi-Fi connection with Wi-Fi calling enabled on the iPhone.
For more information - check out our Apple Watch Overview page.
David, AT&T Community Specialist
Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.