The new iPhone 15
aed718's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, March 4th, 2015 9:35 PM

Closed

Using phones hotspot as modem for router

i have a iPhone 5s and I was wondering if I can connect my wireless router to my phones hot spot. Therefore use my printer, pc and iPad all from the data on my phone. Thank you for your help

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

You might consider a 3G/4G/LTE router as an alternative. Here are examples...

http://www.store4g.com/4g-routers/

...and these MiFi devices from AT&T...

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/hotspots.html

Keep in mind your going to go thru your data plan pretty fast depending on what your doing on the home computers and other devices...

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

As far as I know, the only way to hook a wireless router is through the ethernet cable. With the hotspot, you should be able to share as your hotspot becomes a router.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Maybe I can reword this....I have no internet connection other then my mobile phone. I can hook it to my computer and use the Internet. I also have a wireless router that my phone, laptop, pc and printer are connected to but the wireless router has no connectivity to Internet. How do I connect the router to my phone so that my "wireless network" has Internet? I've done research and am just getting more and more confused. Do I need a wireless switch?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

there is no way to connect a phone to a router.  You need wireless on the computer to use it.  Now the ipad can connect to the phone.  

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

IMO, your best solution is to connect each of your devices to your phone's hotspot and forget about the wireless router. My LG G3 will support up to 10 separate devices; not sure about the iphone, but probably can support what you want.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

@aed718 wrote:
i have a iPhone 5s and I was wondering if I can connect my wireless router to my phones hot spot. Therefore use my printer, pc and iPad all from the data on my phone. Thank you for your help

Depending upon how technical you are, you could probably setup your PC to be the route for all traffic to get to the internet, then configure teh PC to act like your router and relay all the local network traffic to the internet through the phone.  This will be a good bit of a challend for you because yor PC would need to connect to the phone via wireless, then connect to teh rest of yoru network via a wired connection.  At that point, the rest of your network would remain exactly as it iis, except the internet traffice would flow through your expensive cellular data connection.

There will probably be some serious challenges here as most of the hotspot connections via the cell phone use non-standard network connections, so setting up your PC for routing via that connection might be very challenging, especially depending upon your PC OS.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

How do the 4g routers work? how do i connect the hotspot modem to the router?

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I have AT&T fiber that is down for a few days (technicians scheduled to be coming to put fiber underground after a windstorm.)   In the two weeks between now and when they are able to bury the fiber, I am without the fiber modem.   Can I configure my AT&T 5G phone service (android) to function as the modem for my home network?   I already connect it to individual devices, but I would prefer to not have to reconfigure all of my smart-home devices from their wifi link in the house.   Suggestions?   I have at least one range extender in the house as well, so I might at least reconfigure to to use my phone as the internet gateway.   Thoughts?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

2 years ago

@mj2   Please start a new thread (in the correct forum) as this one is 5 years old and will be closed  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.