#1 Star!
10th stratosphere!
The 5th element!

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Thu, Feb 4, 2021 4:07 PM

Use new SIM card or swap in old one?

Am getting a new iPhone. Any reason to use the new SIM card that comes with that (and activating it) vs just swapping in my old att SIM card?

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

18.1K Messages

1 y ago

If the SIM cards are the same size, you can just put your old SIM in the new phone. I had an 8 Plus and purchased a SIM-less 12 from Apple. I could have just put the 8 SIM in the 12 and be done with it. I opted instead to have AT&T put a brand new SIM in my 12 (at no cost). I just like to keep new to new. I did not opt to upgrade our Unlimited Family Plan to a 5G one so it was very easy.

asinsh

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

1 y ago

Thanks!  I read somewhere that the new SIM cards have different tech that allows them to be used better in art’s 5G when rolled out. Is that wrong?  If that’s correct, how new is the tech?  I swapped the card att gave me for my iPhone 7 Plus into my new iPhone 12 and it seems to be working fine but perhaps won’t be as effective with 5G?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 m ago

I'm giving this a bump, since I have the same question. Got a new iPhone 12 Pro Max and transferred the SIM from the old 6s Plus, seems to be working fine, show 5G when in a 5G area. Is there an advantage to switching to the new SIM?

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

6.5K Messages

10 m ago

Unless there is a specific reason, I can’t see why you wouldn’t use the SIM that came with the new phone, especially if it’s already provisioned with your number.  Using a old SIM may work fine, or it may not.  Why take the chance?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

10 m ago

@ciret Look closer, you are probably seeing 5Ge, not 5G. 5Ge is not 5G, it is enhanced LTE. You need a 5G SIM card to get actual 5G. The SIM card that came with your new phone is 5G, the SIM card from your old phone probably isn’t but if you are really getting 5G with the old SIM card, there is no advantage to activating the new SIM card. There is also, as suggested above, no reason not to use it. My guess is you aren’t really getting 5G with the old SIM card.

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.