Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Give Mom a virtual hug with our Mother's Day Gift Guide.
kirbydale's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sat, Jun 6, 2015 12:34 PM

Upgrading and confused

We currently have two phones on our plan: 4s with grandfathered unlimited data, and 5s with 2GB as part of a Family Talk 700 plan. The 5s generally exceeds the 1500 texts and 2GB each month.

I need to upgrade the 4s now as it is frequently shutting down. I have always done the 2-year contract plan as I keep the phone longer than 2 years. I am not sure what to do with the Next option now. Is it worth keeping the unlimited plan?

We will also be adding a 3rd line for our oldest child in the fall. I went into the store and although very helpful, I can't help but feel like I am being tricked into something.

Help!

Responses

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

6 y ago

It depends on how much data you are using currently. The new line will not be allowed to be added to the unlimited data, it will have to get on a tiered data plan. Compare the pricing of the new plans compared to your current plan. If it is cheaper to keep the grandfathered plan and create a new plan for your son, you can do that.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 y ago

• If you keep your phone for more than two years, Next 30 (or buying the phone outright) may be a better deal for you.
  • Once you go to three lines, a family Mobile Share plan with a large data bucket (10GB+) would probably be cheaper than maintaining separate plans. 
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

84.1K Messages

6 y ago

Add up the data you are all using now. Triple what the 4s is using. Since the 4S is a 3 G phone and not working well, you can't be using much data. The new 4 G phones will use 2 - 2.5 times as much data, and of course the phone will actually work.

That should give you an idea how much data you would need for the 2 phones and add half again as much for the 3rd line.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

We curently use 6-9 GB of data a month. My wife uses just under her 2 that are on her line each month. The other 4-7 are used by my on the grandfathered plan.

I also didn't fully understand the Next Plan. I have always gotten a phone with a two contract. Doing the Next Plan the phone costs several hundred more than purchasing it with the two-year contract, however, it seems like I will get a $25 discount on my bill going with the Next Plan which negates the extra cost for the phone.

gphipps

Scholar

• 

334 Messages

6 y ago

You are essentially paying the same price for the phone. On a 2 year contract the extra $25 is added each month and is part of the cost of the plan. With Next you get a $25 discount off your plan, but that is offset by the approximately $25/month payment on the cost of the phone.
cousintim

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

6 y ago

Switching to Next also eliminates activation fees and upgrade fees.

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

6 y ago

Here is an example I came up with for someone else. Savings over two years of approximately $400 on 2 lines & 10 GB data. In your case (3 lines, 10 GB data) your looking at $6039 on a 2 year contract versus $5406 on NEXT. Exact total depends on the actual phone you choose, but the savings would be comparable. Of course, add taxes and fees to both plans for the actual monthly bill.

2 year contract example:
$199 to buy the phone
$14 sales tax @7%
$40 activation fee
24 x 40= $960
24 x 25 (1 gb)= $600
Total for two years $1813

NEXT no contract example:
Sales tax (@7%) first month $42
24 x 25 ($15 discount) = $600
24 x 25 (1 gb)= $600
24 x 25 (NEXT monthly installment)= $600
Total for two years $1842

As you can see, it’s pretty much a wash. However, if you buy two phones, discount is per line. And if you have a 10gb plan, the discount is $25 per month per line; $4404 Next versus $4826 contract.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

Thank you all for the thoughtful and detailed responses. I look forward to getting my phone in the next few days!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

I do have one more question since you have all been so helpful. Insurance- yay or nay? I have never gotten it in the past and been prepared to self-insure. However, the plus is a bit more of an investment than my previous phones.

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

6 y ago

Never had it or needed it before. But last February, we were at the beach and a rogue wave came way up and got our beach bag. Wife's iPhone 6 got damp and the earphone jack was messed up. Luckily, the rice trick fixed it. But figuring it was salt water and just a matter of time, I was able to add insurance (ATT was allowing ANY working phone to be insured for a limited time).

It is $6.99 a month and a declining deductible. I'll probably keep it for a couple of years just in case. When you pay almost $700 for a phone, it is pretty reasonable.

Since you are considering an iPhone, I'd go with Applecare for $99. You have 60 days to add it after purchasing the phone.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"

Get started...

Ask a new question