Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Give Mom a virtual hug with our Mother's Day Gift Guide.
C

• 

1 Message

Sun, Apr 18, 2021 9:16 PM

Unwanted text messages

I am getting  lewd text messages from email addresses, usually gmail. They come in with multiple recipient numbers. Each text comes from a different email address. Can you help me make this stop.

Responses

dwill05

Master

• 

5.2K Messages

20 d ago

About all you can do is enable the feature on the phone that filters messages from people not in your contacts list into a separate file.  It doesn’t stop them, and will do the same for legitimate texts like verification codes.  It’s unlikely that the texts are coming from or through Gmail anyway, since the source is usually spoofed.  Forwarding them to SPAM (7726) is useless because 1) the robot doesn’t recognize email addresses, only phone numbers, 2) even if they took the email address, they don’t do actually seem to do anything to stop them, and 3) the source is usually spoofed anyway.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

49K Messages

20 d ago

@dwill05 I’ve had success reporting texts via email to 7726. I reply with the originating email and just ignore the repeated reply to provide a phone number. At least I think I had success because I’ve never gotten additional spam from any email I reported.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dwill05

Master

• 

5.2K Messages

20 d ago

The most likely reason you don’t get any more spam from the same number is because they are randomly spoofed and they don’t reuse spoofed emails like they don’t reused spoofed numbers.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

49K Messages

20 d ago

Yeah, I thought of that possibility and that’s probably the case but I’ve gotten very few such texts and haven’t gotten one in a very long time. Typically once the spammers have your number, you keep getting them. 

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question