The new iPhone 15
JimandCyn's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 29th, 2019 4:26 AM

What does unlocking our phone do?

I got a notification that one of our phones (we are on a family plan) is eligible to be “unlocked.” I understand from reading some of the posts here  that unlocking a phone has to do with the fact that the phone is now paid in full. And also, possibly, it has something to do with the fact that there is a zero balance so not only is the phone paid in full there is no outstanding payment pending on the AT&T service, either. It’s both the hardware and the service that seems to lead to the ability to unlock one’s phone. 

But then what…? Why?

Despite nosing around the Internet and this forum I really can’t find an explanation that is basic enough for me to understand.

What exactly does unlocking our phone do, why Would we want to do it, will we notice anything different when using the phone, does unlocking the phone do anything to the functionality of the phone while we use it. Or is this all about detaching the phone from the clutches AT&T to make it easier to sell the phone or change service? Kind of like removing a lien from your property when it comes time to sell.  That’s kind of what I’ve understood this to be about. 

Many of the posts I’ve read headlight problems people are having with this process. I assume  I should be prepared that by following the instructions in the notification this process may not go smoothly for some reason but I will cross that bridge when it comes.

In the meantime please help me understand more about unlocking   

Thank you! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@JimandCyn wrote:

I got a notification that one of our phones (we are on a family plan) is eligible to be “unlocked.” I understand from reading some of the posts here  that unlocking a phone has to do with the fact that the phone is now paid in full. And also, possibly, it has something to do with the fact that there is a zero balance so not only is the phone paid in full there is no outstanding payment pending on the AT&T service, either. It’s both the hardware and the service that seems to lead to the ability to unlock one’s phone. 

But then what…? Why?

So it can be used on another network.

Despite nosing around the Internet and this forum I really can’t find an explanation that is basic enough for me to understand.

Understand why someone might want to use another network?  

What exactly does unlocking our phone do, why Would we want to do it, will we notice anything different when using the phone, does unlocking the phone do anything to the functionality of the phone while we use it. Or is this all about detaching the phone from the clutches AT&T to make it easier to sell the phone or change service?   Yes.  Use in the US or with local sim while traveling. 

Kind of like removing a lien from your property when it comes time to sell.  That’s kind of what I’ve understood this to be about. 

Many of the posts I’ve read headlight problems people are having with this process. I assume  I should be prepared that by following the instructions in the notification this process may not go smoothly for some reason but I will cross that bridge when it comes.   Literally millions of phone unlocks go smoothly.  I’ve unlocked a dozen in 5 years.  

In the meantime please help me understand more about unlocking   

Thank you! 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

i just purchased mybiphone from online i try to open line from a few cellphone technician but they cant unlock my devise because its tagged as lost/stolen anyone can help me so incan able to use my iphone 7

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

i just purchased my iphone from online but when i try to openline from a technician they cant unlock my phone because its blacklisted someone can help me sobi can able to use my iphone 7

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@henzgoodboy Sorry, no one here can help you. Only whoever put the phone on the blacklist can remove it from the blacklist. Sorry to say but you bought a lost or stolen phone. Return it if possible.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@henzgoodboy wrote:

i just purchased my iphone from online but when i try to openline from a technician they cant unlock my phone because its blacklisted someone can help me sobi can able to use my iphone 7

If it’s blacklisted you can’t use it. Contact the seller and get your money back 

Blacklist means it is been listed as lost or stolen, and then added to the international blacklist. This means the phone can’t be used on any carrier in the world. There’s no way to remove it from the blacklist unless the original owner requests the original carrier take it off the blacklist. If they reported it lost or stolen there’s a little chance that they will ever do that. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I also bought it from netizens. I can't contact the owner information of the previous mobile phone. The official website can't unlock my mobile phone for me. Please help me. When I tried to unlock it on the official website, he reminded me that I didn't pay off all the bills. It could be arrears. I'm on the white list 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I never did thank you… it’s never too late as Emily Post said or dear Abby or someone like that LOL… Thank you very much!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I just purchased my iphone from online (eBay) but when i try to openline from a technician they cant unlock my phone because its "Looks like you haven't paid off your device yet." , I'm agree to pay for before owner, but I don't how. someone can help me sobi can able to use my iphone 8

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

@pukas100 wrote:

I just purchased my iphone from online (eBay) but when i try to openline from a technician they cant unlock my phone because its "Looks like you haven't paid off your device yet." , I'm agree to pay for before owner, but I don't how. someone can help me sobi can able to use my iphone 8

Not possible.  Contact the seller.   At&t will not allow you access to pay off another customer’s phone/bill.   If the phone was advertised as unlocked you can also dispute with eBay if seller won’t fix the situation for you.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.