Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
The new iPhone 14
Guilherme0's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Friday, September 29th, 2017 4:56 PM

UNLOCKING MY PHONE THAT WAS NOT SUBSIDED BY AT&T

This is the second post about this issue. The first one was successfully ignored by the company.

I already posted publicly and private messaged @ATTCares for support with my situation that seems to be an often issue with many other customers. I bought my device at Best Buy and, as I am not an US citizen and do not live in the country, I asked the retailer for an unlocked device for my free use in US, and anywhere around the globe using the local carriers. Instead so as soon as I insert the AT&T prepaid sim card in my phone, it locked up with the carrier. Remember that I did not get any financial subside from AT&T, which means I paid full price for it. I am no longer in US and I cannot have an $900 brick because of it. I already called Apple and they were clear about who is responsible for the procedure; AT&T. Please consider that the 6 month prepaid activation does not apply for international users as they would never activate their phones with you if they knew beforehand this huge inconvenient would happen.

In advance I thank your attention.

Lino.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Hello @ATTTimCS!

Thank you for quick response. I have done everything that you told me to do. I have just send a message to @ATTCares but accroding to this topic and the guy who started it, there will be no response. I believe that this situation is solvable and you will help me.

Because, honestly, it is not fair to make foreign people use SIM for 6 months before unlocking a device. We know that we made mistakes, that was a valuable lesson and experience. I understand this "rule" for American people who actually live in the US and are able to use SIM for 6 months there. But not every foreigner knows about "locked" devices that costs the same money as SIM-free. Sometimes there is an emergency when you have no opportunities to choose the retailer. As for me, my old phone broke, and I literally ran into the closest store to buy a new phone. And of course I didn't know about carrier, and of course nobody told me about that.

I am sorry if this message looks kind of rude to you, but it's not. Hope for your understanding. And thank you again for such a quick repsonse! 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Any updates here?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I have been contacted by an employee privately and I gave him the IMEI as he has requested as well as my Unlocking request number done through the website. ATT asked for a bit more time to process it but I assume it was because of the weekend. Expecting to have a solution today or tomorrow at latest. I can share the outcome with you when I have it.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I will appreciate it so much.
I was told to contact @ATTCare but there is still no response. Nobody even asked for my IMEI. I don't know if somebody cares of me, but I am pretty sure it's not @ATTCare 😄

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

5 years ago

@mr_mayami

@Guilherme0

ATTCares was formerly in Texas.  They consolidated in Florida recently.  Couldn’t pick 2 worse places.  Significant issues with 2 hurricanes, 3 if you count Maria and Puerto Rico.  

Short version, they have a higher than normal work load and it may take a week to reply to messages.  Sorry to ask you to be patient, there are just many ahead of you.  

@Guilherme0   This is a public forum, I’m a customer.  I cannot help unlock your phone.  But I can educate anyone who reads this and thinks they can buy an unlocked iPhone at Best Buy.  THEY CANT.  It’s an Apple thing....

Best Buy sells unlocked androids, carrier and sim free that will not lock to any carrier.   

A full price purchase of any locked phone does not mean it’s unlocked for you.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Still no solution for the case!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.