Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Learn how to Get the iPhone 12 Now!
J

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Sep 24, 2020 5:15 PM

Unlocking iPhone (Customer Service please help). Automated response is WRONG!

Hello,

I purchased iPhone 11pro (GSM Unlocked) from eBay (can send receipt ) 2-3 month ago, but when turned in today couldn't activate my sim-card on it with error "this carrier is not supported...", so i reached Apple support, surprisingly for me they said it's locked by ATT and send me link to your unlocking page where I tried to submit form entering IMEI #, but there was error on top "network" issues so it didn't go through (there was like 4 attempts to do so from different browsers).

I succeeded to submit from just from my PC but received response below, after just one successful request.

Customer service please help. 

We can't unlock your device today.

Device IMEI number: ***************
Request number: NUL710600782365

Hi IREN,

You've tried to unlock this device too many times. Wait 30 days and then  submit a new request.

Thanks for choosing us,
AT&T

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

dwill05

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

a month ago

Get your money back from eBay.  The seller either lied or was incorrect when they said the phone was unlocked.  Sending your eBay receipt to AT&T does nothing as they don’t get involved in third party transactions.  A phone is either eligible to unlock or it isn’t.  They don’t care who has actual possession of it, nor how they got it.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

how do I find my iphone6s' PUK Code

dwill05

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

a month ago

To get the PUK code, you have to go to your account.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1011771/

Other ways are to look at the SIM card packaging (may not apply if the SIM came already installed in the phone, or call customer service.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/get-puk-code-sim-card

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

dwill05, you didn't fully read my post? nobody was in possession of my iPhone for last 30 days except me, but ATT saying it was too many attempts, when it was just ONE successful from PC and were multiple FAILD once same day from another iPhone, so ATT is sending automated response to comeback in 30 days.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a month ago

You are missing the point. You purchase the device as an unlocked phone, and it's not unlocked. It also may not be registered in AT&T system which is why you're getting an error message.   If it is not registered, AT&T will not unlock it. 

Contact the seller.   If they don't, or can't unlock it, they have to take it back. 

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

a month ago

I understand your point, but iPhone bought on eBay while in US more than 2 month ago, now it brought to Russia and local card was inserted which "not supported", Apple support said that it's locked by ATT and that they suppose to unlock if it's not stolen or anything, because it's impossible and long time to send it from Russia back to US. 

I understand that it's seller responsibility, but under such circumstances ATT send me MISSLEADING automated response to unlock request due to "too many attempts, try in 30 days", when I did just one successful one from PC, others when trying from my cell didn't go through showing "network error". See ATT response below, it doesn't reflect what actually happened.

You've tried to unlock this device too many times. Wait 30 days and then  submit a new request.

Thanks for choosing us,

AT&T  

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a month ago

AT&T will unlock phones if they are paid off. Ebay doesn't sell At&t phones.  Whoever sold the phone on eBay was probably the original purchaser but bought it on installments and has not yet paid all the installments off.  It takes 39 months to pay off.  It's a one year old phone.i t is likely that phone is not paid off. Until it was is 100% paid for AT&T does not have to unlock it

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
dwill05

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

a month ago

It’s possible that your failed attempts actually got counted, even though something happened at the end that prevented it from completing.  In any case, no matter how it got there, you’re stuck with that message.  You can keep trying, but if you keep getting failures, the only way around it is to contact AT&T directly by calling them.  Simply arguing about why you think it’s wrong won’t fix the issue.

Your options boil down to hoping you can get through to AT&T and find out what the status of the phone is and whether it can be unlocked, or trying to get your money back from eBay because you were sold an “unlocked” phone that wasn’t.  Given that your unlocked phone wasn’t, there is probably a good chance that the seller lied about it being unlocked so he/she could take the money and run, and the phone probably isn’t paid off, or has some other issue.  If you still have the option of getting a refund through eBay, you may want to consider that because I believe there is a time limit after which you can’t get a refund any more.

Get started...

Ask a new question