Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
The new iPhone 14
stillwind's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 28th, 2019 1:22 AM

Unlocked phone was locked

Hello. I bought a new sealed factory unlocked phone.
My mistake that I activated it using AT&T sim card.
It became locked! I can't use it with my country sim card or any US-sim (T-Mobile and so on).
I checked it twice.
I tried to reset the phone and reactive...
I'm not resident of US. I'm just a tourist.
I will go home at 1 April.
I tried to unlock it on site, but got:
"Looks like the device you want to unlock is active on another AT&T account. The owner has to remove it from their account first. Did we get that wrong? If you're the owner, call 800.331.0500 or 611 from your mobile phone to confirm."
How to unlock it before I will go home?
Please help.
P S I have AT&T prepaid SIM card, but I can close it if you need.

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

4 years ago

Only Apple sells sim free version of iPhone.  All other retail stores sell universal phones subject to US activation lock policy.  Where ever you bought yours it wasn’t unlocked. 

Did you request unlock with your At&t prepaid number?   

If yes, it should not have kicked back it was active on a customer account.  

You will have to contact At&t with proof of full price purchase to get it unlocked.  If you bought it off the prepaid rack, it was not a full price purchase and they will not unlock it.  

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

You're responding on a one-year-old thread. 

Stop telling people what is not?  And what about a factual response is rude? The information given is factual.  Facts are not rude, they are just facts. 

It is very upsetting when someone purchases a phone (used or 3rd party) thinking it's free and clear of carrier locks because they have been told it is. It does not change the fact that the carrier sold a phone on a payment plan and requires it to be paid off before it can be unlocked.

It also does not change the fact that a person who purchased the phone has not removed that phone from their account. This might indicate that the phone was stolen.   

It also might indicate that the buyer has been scammed. If that's the case there is nothing AT&T can or will do to fix it.  Buyer should return phone and get their money back if it can't be unlocked.  

It's is a 'known thing' with EVERY US CARRIER.   I stress that because even Verizon now locks phones for a minimum of 60 days.   Verizon phones are supposed to automatically unlock after 60 days but they often do not. This can create quite a problem because Verizon has no mechanism in place to manually unlock a phone other than calling and complaining. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

Ah ha... You mean this thread?

Sim free phone locked

That person was also given facts by myself and another user.  

It was described how Apple's flex activation policy works on phones that aren't 'sim free'.  Sim free phones can't lock to any carrier.  Apple sold her the wrong phone, for which she deserved an answer from Apple for their gaff.  When a customer goes out of their way to purchase directly from Apple a Sim free device and pay full price rather than use installments, they should not be sold something else. 

She posted the email approving unlock, but didn't write she was now unlocked and resolved.  So I asked if she still had a problem. (it happens)

Where was anyone rude? 

And you wrote "it's a known thing.." referring to AT&T locking the phone.   As explained, AT&T does not lock iPhones.  Neither does Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint or any other carrier.  Carrier locks on iPhones only happen on Apple servers.  Unlocking is done with carrier permission, but can't complete without connecting to Apple servers (wifi or cellular).

And you can look up Apple's US Flex activation if you don't believe us. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Rscarol

Scholar

• 

156 Messages

4 years ago

Where did you buy the phone and what exactly happens when you insert your home country sim card? 

You might want to invest in a "gsx report" on eBay where you give them the IMEI and you get the actual lock status.    It's like $3.     

You should ignore anything about att's unlock policy until you know for sure the phone is actually locked....   By trying the sim card from another provider.    

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.2K Messages

4 years ago

@Rscarol Perhaps you missed this from the OP’s post: 

I can't use it with my country sim card or any US-sim (T-Mobile and so on).
I checked it twice.

I think it is pretty clear the phone is locked. As pointed out, it locked to the first carrier it was activated on, which the OP admitted was ATT.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I called to AT&T support. This phone really locked.
But I bought this phone on eBay. I don't have real receipt. I can get it just from paypal... 

I asked seller to get receipt.
Seller don't want to get it back. But I opened dispute.
In description it was FACTORY UNLOCKED.
There is no alerts about activation and so on in description.
The phone should be really UNLOCKED.
I hope I can do something in Apple or return this phone using money back rules. I can't wait 6 month.

I have GSX report, that said - LOCKED to AT&T.

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

7.5K Messages

4 years ago

The seller lied when they said the phone was unlocked.  Until the commitment is fulfilled, AT&T won’t approve the unlock.  Apple can’t do anything about it.  I’d recommend getting your money back via eBay or PayPal.

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

7.5K Messages

It mostly only happens to people who:

1). Don't know or understand the requirements that must be met for unlocking the phone that they bought; or

2) Buy a phone that is under the US reseller flex activation policy and don’t realize that the phone is unlocked, but will, by design, lock to the first SIM installed; or

3) Get scammed by someone on eBay or other third party sites who sells a phone as unlocked, when it really isn’t.

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

n/a

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I purchased a certified factory refurb Galaxy 8 from Amazon last September and activated it on T-Mobile with no problem.  Unfortunately coverage was not adequate with T-Mobile, so I moved almost immediately to ATT prepaid.  Well, you guessed it!  ATT locked my phone.  The embedded Model Number contains U which clearly indicates that it's Factory Unlocked.  ATT claims some other number has caused them to lock the phone.  Hard to believe if it wasn't a problem when I signed on to ATT, 11 months later it's now a problem.  Also, I didn't think wireless phone companies sell factory unlocked phones.  The customer service representative said this was a technical problem and that my phone should be OK.  She initiated a Case Number and said it would be resolved in 4 days.  So, six days later, still no response from ATT.  I then placed a follow up call and the representative would not even take the time to look up the case that was supposedly initiated.  The second customer service representative "stone walled" me on the other phone number issue, would not forward my call to her supervisor as I had requested, and told me to go to the ATT Store with my problem.  So, I'll go to the store tomorrow and hopefully will be pleasantly surprised that they can fix this.  Is this a way to run a business?

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

2 years ago

AT&T stores cannot unlock phones.  Just.... Can't....

Dont bother. 

Just an FYI, the 'U' does not stand for unlocked, it stands for Universal. The phone was probably originally sold through Best Buy and could be activated on any carrier but would be locked to the first carrier's SIM card that was used in the phone.   The phone it should contain software for all major carriers including AT&T. Did the phone booth with T-Mobile's boot splash, and then when you switch to AT&T did it convert, and then boot with AT&T s boots splash?

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.