Troubleshoot your device issues
JimmyWang's profile

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

Wed, May 6, 2020 2:29 PM

Unlocked approved but still phone locked

I thought it is strange but seems there are several cases like this and I am not alone.

So I try to unlock an old ATT iPhone and put in the request. The request was approved within two days.

However when I insert a sim card from different carrier, it still shows sim not supported.

I changed other 2-3 sim cards none of them worked.

Tried the iTune backup-restore as per the email, it doesn't work either.

I called customer service and the representative has no clue how to resolve it.

I chatted with Apple and they told me the phone is still sim locked, I have to ask ATT.

Is anyone can help me on this case? Thanks

Request number: (Edited to remove personal information)

Jim

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

2 y ago

If Apple says it is still locked, that means they have not updated their activation servers. When ATT approves the unlock, they notify Apple to update their activation servers. That likely means that notification didn’t happen. The entire process is automated, you can try putting in another unlock request to get that notification to Apple to reoccur. Otherwise, you need to call and ask for advanced tech support. The front line CSR’s can’t help you.

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. I tried second request this morning and it was approved only after a few hours.

However it still didn't work. How can I get to advanced tech support.

Is there any support from AT&T on this forum?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

57.8K Messages

You need to wait at least 24 hours after you get the approved email. There is a small team called ATTHelp here but they can’t help with this. You get advanced tech support by calling the regular customer support number and asking for advanced tech support.

Award for Community Excellence 2021 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

2 y ago

It was finally resolved by an online representative.

I spoke to her and she decided to put in an unlock request from her end.

It seems she has some interface to work with the phone. And she told me unlock is done.

Then I turn on the phone with different sim card and everything went thru.

I feel there is glitch with AT&T automated unlock system somehow.

• 

1 Message

2 y ago

How did you talk to the online representative?

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

2 y ago

Well I told the rep that the unlock request was approved by email. I believe she checked the phone imei and acknowledged that. The request sent by the rep worked while the system generated apparently didn't go thru.

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

How did you get into contact with the online representative? I have the same problem and I don't exactly know how to get into contact with them. Was it through an online chat, over the phone, or did you send an email or something? Sorry, I just want this phone to work lol

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

I'm having unlock issues as well. One phone unlocked within minutes with the portal. And the second one, I have been told twice by chat that it was unlocked. I've waited days in between. I've been trying to unlock this phone for a week now. The online portal keeps saying "we're experiencing network difficulties, please try again later."  or it locks me out.  

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

In chat with them for a third time. Says he has escalated it to his supervisor and scheduled a call back in 30 mins. We'll see if it works this time. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

1 y ago

I just called regular customer service number. Possibly the representative I talked to was more knowledgeable for this kind of issue. Wish you good luck

Contributor

• 

9 Messages

1 y ago

Sorry that is typo, not online, just by phone.

• 

4 Messages

1 y ago

It's been 5 live chats and still nothing. "we'll have a supervisor call you back in 15 minutes" that was three days ago. 

Portal still shows "Oops! Looks like we're having network difficulties. Try again later."

Need help?
The new iPhone 13
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.