Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Jan 23, 2020 1:40 AM

Unlock process erased my eSIM, how do I get it restored?

I recently moved to Singapore and I had to unlock my iPhone 11 Pro to be able to use a local number. I had converted my US number to an eSIM while I was still in the US to make this process smoother. Unfortunately, the backup and restore process required for the unlock erased my US number eSIM. How do I get that eSIM restored remotely? Note: I am still in Singapore and cannot get to an AT&T store.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

4 weeks ago

The back up and restore is not required. Too late now.

Did you save your esim card?

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

I did not realize unlocking might not require a backup and restore on iPhones. All of the instructions tell me that is how to complete the unlock. There was also no information about backing up the eSIM, so I'm a little lost right now. I completed the eSIM conversion process at the AT&T store and they did not give me anything like a eSIM card. Isn't the point of the eSIM that you don't need the physical card anymore?

dwill05

Master

• 

3.7K Messages

He means the card that has the QR code to activate the eSIM. Do you still have that?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

It is no longer necessary to do a backup and restore on iPhones in order to complete the unlock process. Once AT&T approves your unlock request, within 24 hours you should be able to connect to Apple servers and the unlock is completed automatically. Simply doing an iCloud backup or signing into iTunes is sufficient.
Unfortunately what's done is done.

The esim came on a little credit card, and during the first few months when it was available people were not informed that if they saved the card they would be able to move their esim service to a new phone, or as in your case restore it on an erased phone.

AT&T was only giving out the esim in stores. I cannot confirm if there is an alternate. I would suggest you contact AT&T directly, try chat first, to see if there's an alternate method of acquiring an esim SIM card and activating.
I know AT&T will not ship out of the United States oh, but you might be able to get someone to mail you one, or purchase one online through another party like eBay or Amazon.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

Thanks for the information. I wish the unlock instructions told me that... It would have saved so much time.

For the eSIM card, I performed it at the AT&T store and the service rep did not give me the card at the end of the setup. I have tried to do the AT&T chat with the expert device group, but no one answers with anything useful. I have a US address they could send it to, so I guess I will try their online support chat method instead. Maybe they can solve this.

Thanks for the help.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

Yes having an esim shipped to a u.s. address is a good possibility. Or having someone pick up one for you. I hope this is one less thing for you to worry about so you can enjoy your trip.

mobilemax

Employee

• 

764 Messages

3 weeks ago

Hello,

Since you are abroad, I would follow this department for assistance:

How do I contact AT&T International Customer Care while traveling abroad? For questions while roaming outside the U.S., contact AT&T by calling +1.314. 925.6925, a free call from your AT&T wireless phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.