For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
M

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, May 2nd, 2020 9:42 PM

Unlock phone (iphone se 1st gen 2016)

I brought an old phone (iPhone SE 1st gen 2016) and try to unlock it. After putting in IMEI into the online request form it was denied:

Request number: NUL3252865463, I brought it from Amazon and it was an AT&T phone.

apparently I searched the forums it mentioned how the system can be broken sometimes.

https://forums.att.com/conversations/other-phones-devices/nul-in-request-number/5defca53bad5f2f6066a5215

I have 3 questions:

1) Any chance I ever know the phone IMEI is blacklisted/prepaid? or just denied?

2) What should be my next step?

On Amazon page, it didn't state it was the regular or prepaid phone, that is what puzzled me.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Your unlock request should have provided a reason for being denied. What was it?

• 

3 Messages

Check your unlock status

Current status - Denied

We can't unlock this device because it hasn't been active for at least six months of paid service.

IMEI

Request number: NUL325286546515

You can submit a new request after six months of paid service.

Sounds like the third party on Amazon try to scam me as it was worded a legit AT&T phone. Which they probably omitting "prepaid"

Should I contact AT&T? Any way to know what is this phone's status? I don't mind getting AT&T service in order to unlock the phone, but that is not guaranteed either. I suspect the seller is a scammer to not fully disclose as AT&T prepaid and regular AT&T are not the same. Judge by how this phone was never activated, it may be prepaid.

can this phone be stolen/blacklisted?

I would feel really stupid if I had to open AT&T account for 6 months to even fit into this, especially since 2014 CTIA Commitment was in place. 1st Gen iPhone SE is at least 4 years old now.

Thank you for answering my question, you are awesome

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

I just go over with AT&T Customer service rep,

based on my NUL request number, he informed me that I only need to be AT&T network for 60 days and it will be unlocked.

I am skeptical about this since it sounds like a bait&switch tactic.

Anyway I can confirm this? He also mentioned if this phone was never activated, it is not blacklisted or report stolen/lost.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

If it is a prepaid phone, and ATT did sell the SE as prepaid, the 6 month requirement for service will not be waived. I have no idea how you determine whether the phone is prepaid or not other than if the price you paid was a substantially discounted, it’s prepaid.

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.