Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
sunnhat's profile

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 15th, 2022 3:31 AM

unlock my device

I bought unlocked Iphone 11 from Best buy, paid in full price and still have invoice in hand. Then I used it with H2O since that day. Now, after porting to T-mobile, I recognized my Iphone has been locked to ATT. I tried to unlock via ATT website, but it says that my Iphone IMEI is on another account. This is not corrected as I have never joined ATT wireless up to now. H2O is reseller, hence they're unable to lock or unlock phone.

I tried to call to ATT customer service for helping, but no one can help.

Hope that I can get a better information from here. 

Thank you

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

1 year ago

H2O only allows you to bring an unlocked phone which technically you did. But also technically you didn't, because inserting an H2O/AT&T SIM card locked your phone to AT&T service.

H2O can't unlock it because they don't do that. And AT&T doesn't recognize your phone at all because they didn't lock it either.

Nice catch 22 you got yourself into... 

For future reference, when you buy a phone to use on H2O you must buy one that is truly unlocked. Best Buy does not sell a truly unlocked iPhone - at least not the current model.  Only Apple sells unlocked , sim free.

File an FCC complaint online.  The complaint will be forwarded to AT&T upper management and someone will contact you.   

AT&T will have to provide permission for Apple to remove the activation lock policy on your phone. I suspect they won't be very happy about having to research your IMEI so you will have to provide your proof of purchase. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.