For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Calonzo37's profile

8 Messages

Thursday, August 17th, 2023 4:16 PM

Unlock Device

It seems like AT&T has a pattern of sometimes not unlocking their customer phones after they are paid off. My phone is paid off, my bank account shows the charge, plus I have the receipt. This feels like theft, because this device should be unlocked, but instead I am receiving a pop up that claims the phone is not paid off and something about a payment plan that I am not attached to. It has been well over a reasonable amount of time for this to be resolved, so if anyone can help that would be great. I am not an AT&T customer and unfortunately have been given a phone through the worst carrier. I have the phone's IMEI number and would like to get my device unlocked. Thank you.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

8 months ago

Were you the one who bought the phone from AT&T, had an AT&T account, and paid off the phone to AT&T?  When you say that you’re not an AT&T customer, and were given a phone, it sounds like you got a phone from a third party.

8 Messages

8 months ago

I paid off the phone to AT&T. I do not have an AT&T account. I have the receipt and the bank transaction. Why do I still received the alert to check that the payment installments are paid off when I go to unlock the device using the IMEI number? I need this phone unlocked regardless of what you are asking. My carrier is not AT&T and never has been. 

8 Messages

8 months ago

I made the full final payment in an att store. This phone was given to me from a relative. Again, hopefully this makes sense, how come when I submit an  unlock  device request using the IMEI number it says that I need to check that the payment installments are paid off? I know the final payment was made, but if anyone can provide insight to this that would be great. Can someone verify or confirm for me that the possibly the account has the funds but submits transactions monthly so I have to wait until enough months past to pay off the phone or possibly do I need to log into the att account or possibly that the att system takes longer than the 3 days to update payments in full? Just a thought, because I do not know why, and just need the phone unlocked. 

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

8 months ago

How did you buy a phone from AT&T without getting service, which means getting an account and a SIM?  I haven’t heard of them selling phones without service.  Also, if you never used you phone with AT&T, then be aware there is a minimum time of service requirement.  The unlocking eligibility requirements are here.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

8 Messages

8 months ago

How do I get rid of this pop up to unlock my device?

8 Messages

8 months ago

Hi Dwill,

Just to clarity, a relative and I went to an AT&T store. I used my debit card at the AT&T store to pay off my relative's remaining phone balance so that I could unlock and keep the phone. They did not trade in for a new phone with AT&T. I did not pay off the phone though their AT&T account, because I do not know their account login. I am currently asking them for their login information. My question is this, where did the money I paid at the AT&T store go, if not towards the remaining balance on my relative's phone installment plan to pay off the installment plan? How do I manage the installment plan on my relatives account to complete the transaction, since it obviously has not paid off the installment plan? I do not want to pay more money considering the remaining balance was deducted from my bank account in the AT&T store.

Thanks,

Carlos

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

8 months ago

It sounds like your relative needs to get into their account and find out what the balance is.  What does the receipt say?  It has to show that the money was used for something.  Does it have an account number, or anything showing it was applied to a specific account?  Are you sure that the amount you paid exactly matched the remaining balance?  It sounds like the best bet is to get the relative to looks at their account to see if anything is still owed, and maybe go back to the store you paid at with the receipt and ask them where the money went.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 months ago

AT&T does not allow you to pay off someone else's balance. Only the original owner can pay off any remaining balance. If you went into a Retail Store this is not uncommon because they are not owned/operated by AT&T and are not staffed with AT&T employees. Consequently, they make all kinds of mistakes. Some by accident, some on purpose. 

Where the money went to is a good question. If you are not an AT&T customer, you can try to unlock the phone as a non-AT&T customer but it looks like you already tried that.

8 Messages

8 months ago

Yeah thank you for the input, unfortunately my relative went back to the same location and made another payment, because the store claims to have paid off the wrong phone. 🙄 I logged onto the att account and the att customer service told me that the phone is paid off, so I’m going to wait the 3 days it typically takes, but if this doesn’t work I’m not sure what to do. But thanks anyways.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 months ago

@Calonzo37  File a complaint with the BBB. That will go straight to AT&T Corporate and someone from the Office of the President will contact you. Have all of your receipts and paperwork handy. They may be able to work something out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.