Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
The new iPhone 14
J

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, June 27th, 2021 12:51 PM

Unlock Device / Carrier Lock

I’ve been trying to switch mobile providers. Yesterday, I removed my phone line and account from AT&T with no outstanding balances due on my account, and activated and inserted my new SIM card from the new provider without ever knowing about the Carrier Lock on my phone. So, I sent in a request to AT&T to have my phone unlocked, they quickly approved and mentioned it would take approximately 48 hours to take effect. 

Since inserting the new activated SIM card, my phone has read, “No SIM” so I can’t call anybody for assistance.

Carrier status in Settings still says AT&T and Carrier Lock now reads, No SIM Restrictions.  

Network status reads, “Not Available”

How long will it take for the approved unlock to take effect and my phone will read the new SIM card to enable phone calls?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.3K Messages

2 years ago

That “No SIM Restrictions” means the unlock is complete. Whatever is causing the “No Sim” message is something else. Either the SIM card is bad, the SIM card reader is bad or you’ve got the SIM card inserted incorrectly.

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I also tried re-inserting the AT&T SIM card, and the phone responded instantly searching for a network and resulted in, “No Service” since I cancelled my service and account with AT&T. So, the card reader in the phone isn’t bad and I inserted both cards the same way multiple times. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.3K Messages

2 years ago

Well, not sure what else to tell you but your phone is now unlocked. It sounds like your new carrier SIM card is the culprit.

dwill05

ACE - Master

• 

7.5K Messages

2 years ago

As sandblaster said, if your phone settings says “No SIM restrictions”, the phone isn’t locked.  Neither Apple nor AT&T can do anything more with regards to unlocking.  The settings will still show AT&T as the carrier, but it displays the last carrier used until the phone successfully registers with a different carrier.  This is an issue to work out with your new carrier.  Are you sure that the phone is compatible with the new carrier?

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Before activating the SIM card, the carrier asks for the IMEI number to make sure the phone is compatible. I wouldn’t have been allowed to activate the SIM card if it wasn’t. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.3K Messages

2 years ago

I presume you ported your number. Perhaps the port did not complete. We see complaints from customers porting a number to ATT often and it usually takes a call to the port activation center to resolve. Perhaps your new carrier hasn’t completed the port. Complete or not, you still shouldn’t get a “no sim” message, so I still think it’s a bad SIM card.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.