Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
regityar's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, December 13th, 2018 4:46 AM

Unlock denied because of a past due?

I purchased my iPhone 7 plus (Refurbished, Locked to AT&T) from Walmart in Sept. 2017. Since then I have been using it on an H2O Wireless pay as you go plan. Today I ported my phone number to Sprint without realizing my phone is still locked to AT&T. Now I'm stuck. I tried to use the unlock portal but my request was denied. It says that my account "has a past due or unpaid balance". I have never used any AT&T services and I still had money in my H2O Wireless account when I made the transfer. How is it possible for me to have any unpaid balance? Can anyone please help me?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I put in my son's working H2O sim card in the phone, then tried to unlock it one hour later.  It says: "Looks like the device you want to unlock is active on another AT&T account. The owner has to remove it from their account first. Did we get that wrong? If you're the owner, call 800.331.0500 or 611 from your mobile phone to confirm."

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

If the phone has not been paid off, it won’t be unlocked. Unfortunately, only the original owner can pay it off. It does not matter, though. An ATT iPhone 7 is not compatible with Sprint. It won’t work on Sprint anyway.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you for your help. This is a refurbished phone (not a used one) that I purchased from Walmart. Am I supposed to be the original owner?

Before the transfer I checked its eligibility by using Sprint's BYOD website. It says it's compatible. I just called Sprint and confirmed that this phone has already been activated for Sprint service. I was told that the sim card (SIMGLW436C) that I got from an Apple store was wrong and I need to get a different type of card.

But still, why was the unlock denied because of unpaid balance? I have never had any past due with AT&T or H2O.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

If it is a refurbished phone then you are not the original owner but Wal-Mart should not be selling phones that still have a balance. More than likely it’s a mess up with whoever returned it. Sounds like something only Wal-Mart can fix.

ACE - Master

• 

10.7K Messages

5 years ago

Since it’s a refurbished phone, it means that someone else owned the phone originally.  That person apparently didn’t either complete all of the payments due to AT&T for the phone, or still has the phone on their account and that’s why the phone isn’t being unlocked.  It has nothing to do with you having any unpaid balance.

It is strange, though.  I wonder what the process is for refurbished phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.