Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Apr 5, 2019 5:10 PM

Unlock brand new iPhone purchased outright outside ATT. Inserting ATT SIM locks the iPhone FYI.

ATT USERS BEWARE: My husband purchased for me a brand new iPhone for xmas, totally paid for. Inserting the ATT SIM card, it locks the device. I wanted to switch carriers and since yesterday, I have been dealing w/ATT agents in store who couldn't help me and now, just concluded chatting online w/their techs to FINALLY unlock a phone purchased outright elsewhere. NOT GOOD!! Many friends and family have been switching carriers recently being disappointed w/ATT plans and services and I am not impressed either. 
Locking a device NOT yours is not right and the process to unlock it has taken me hours already.

Responses

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

dwill05

Master

• 

3.7K Messages

a year ago

Where did you buy the phone?  I’m guessing not from AT&T.  If you bought a phone from elsewhere, you bought one that is subject the Apple’s US Reseller Flex policy, that locks the phone to the first SIM card inserted.  That’s on Apple and/or the place you bought it from for not informing you that phone was covered under that policy.

BTW, going into the store or chatting with AT&T won’t get the phone unlocked.  You need to use the online unlocking portal at https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

It was bought at Best Buy. I did go to the AT&T website (recommendation given at the AT&T store) and it did NOT work. I finally did manage to speak to an agent and after a while, he started the unlock process. Not cool to lock a phone that is paid in full and not YOURS to lock in the first place. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

a year ago

@achiachic wrote:

It was bought at Best Buy. I did go to the AT&T website (recommendation given at the AT&T store) and it did NOT work. I finally did manage to speak to an agent and after a while, he started the unlock process. Not cool to lock a phone that is paid in full and not YOURS to lock in the first place. 

Please read @dwill05  post again.  This is APPLE’S US Flex activation policy.   Best Buy sells a universal phone for all carriers.  In order to comply with different carriers locking policy, Apple has their activation through their server lock your phone.

If you want an unlocked phone, and are paying full price, you should buy a sim free phone directly from Apple.  

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

We are going through the same deal with att..paid 1500.00 for new iPhones at att store..they said they couldn’t unlock them for 60 days..we have spent endless hours trying to get them unlocked..no luck so far..we desperately want to leave att and go to another carrier..we have been with att since bag phones came out..so upset and disgusted..

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

5 months ago

@etphome  if you are being told your phones are locked for 60 days, that is for new accounts not ones that have been open for decades.  

If you wanted unlocked phones, or knew you were going to have to leave AT&T you could’ve purchased phones from Apple. FYI all carriers lock for at least some amount of time. Even if you purchase phones from Verizon they are locked for 60 days. 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

Once I get att out of my phones..I’ll will never have another account with them..nor will I ever give them anything but a bad mouth to anyone who will listen..they have done us terrible..we spent 2 full eight hours day in the att store...and countless hours trying to get our phones set up and a simple unlimited plan.and we still don’t know but one thing...we are “not” getting what we were told we were getting...way higher for two phones than what we were told at the store...and we were told if we paid out right the phones would be unlocked...we have called att countless times and get a different answer each time...att is definitely a company I don’t need in my life..and I will continue to tell ppl.. about my experiences with att..after years having accounts with the company that’s to hungry for money to care about their customers...