Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
The epic new Samsung Galaxy S21 5G is available for preorder now!
P

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Nov 26, 2020 8:40 PM

Unable to send texts (non-iMessage) from iPhone XR to Android devices

Unable to send texts or pictures (says Not Delivered) from my unlocked iPhone XR to any Android devices.  I tried rebooting my phone as well as turning iMessages on and off.  No luck.

I am successful in receiving texts and pictures from iPhone and Android devices.

Please help - it's Thanksgiving and I want to send holiday greetings to friends and family!

Thank you!

UPDATE:  I had to disable the 'Enable LTE' button in the Cellular section of the iPhone, which I should not have to do.  Why is LTE having a problem with unlocked iPhone XR users in sending texts and pictures to Android users? 

Responses

OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

2 months ago

Do you have Send as SMS and MMS Messaging enabled under Messages? I have no problem sending/receiving messages from Android users on either my old iPhone 8 Plus or my new iPhone 12.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.1K Messages

2 months ago

@OttoPylot The “send as sms” setting is an iMessage setting. It only applies when sending to iMessage recipients. That setting has no impact on non iMessage recipients. On or off, you should still be able to send to android recipients. The inability to send via LTE likely just indicates a poor LTE connection.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
OttoPylot

ACE - Expert

• 

13.7K Messages

2 months ago

@sandblaster Yeah I get that. It's just one of the iMessage settings that I ask for them to check being as he's using iMessage for Apple and non-Apple recipients. If the OP just wants to send SMS, he can disable iMessage to bypass Apple's iMessage service. It's also helpful to have WiFi and WiFi-C enabled if the cellular connection is spotty.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.1K Messages

2 months ago

@OttoPylot But my point is the setting is irrelevant for Android recipients. Android users don’t have iMessage. It does not matter what it is set to. You state “he's using iMessage for Apple and non-Apple recipients”, that is not true. Perhaps you are confusing the message app with iMessage. The Apple message app is not iMessage. It simply supports two messaging protocols, iMessage and SMS/MMS.

• 

3 Messages

2 months ago

Thank you both @sandblaster and @OttoPylot for replying.  What I am finding interesting is that nothing has changed for me, same phone (iPhone XR) I've had for the past two years and have NEVER had an issue sending texts, pictures and videos to both iPhone and Android users from home.  About a month ago, since I was beyond my two year monthly payment plan for my phone, I decided to request AT&T unlock my phone.  AT&T unlock initiation request easy, processed fast, did the back-up, erased my phone and restored per AT&T's directions.  Phone worked as expected for everything except now I get the sporadic cannot send texts, pics or videos outside of iMessage.  The 'Send as SMS' and 'MMS Messaging' both always turned on.  My bigger question now is:  how does a locked phone on the AT&T network get treated for texts, pics and videos vs an unlocked phone? Just to further clarify:  Phone bought through AT&T, has always been on the AT&T network, was of course locked (no text, pic, video sending issue) and now is unlocked, with sporadic issue not being able to send to Android users.  Do I need to call AT&T and ask them to ensure all the settings are correct OR is it now that LTE for my unlocked phone is being treated by the cell tower where I live differently?  Hope this all makes sense.   Thanks in advance!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.1K Messages

2 months ago

My bigger question now is:  how does a locked phone on the AT&T network get treated for texts, pics and videos vs an unlocked phone?

They are treated no differently. I can’t explain what is causing your issue but it has nothing to do with being unlocked. I have an XR and it is unlocked, I have no issue sending to android recipients. 

• 

3 Messages

a month ago

Thank you all for your replies!  I will consider this item closed since the solution I figured out, while I am in a major metropolitan area with no previous issues with LTE, was to disable LTE and I was able to send again.  So perhaps there was a local issue regarding the quality connection for LTE and drove my negative experience.  I re-enabled LTE the next day and I have been fine ever since.  Thank you again!

Get started...

Ask a new question